Relay for Life raises $45K

By David Gomez

Tents, sleeping bags and coolers filled the Student Recreation Center’s basketball and tennis courts Friday night and Saturday morning as students, families and cancer survivors packed the gym for the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.

The relay, sponsored by NIU’s chapter of Colleges Against Cancer, was the largest yet at NIU, with about 45 teams registered for the event and even more walking in it, ACS staff member Jen Neumiller said.

About $43,000 was raised by the teams, and more than $2,000 was raised from luminaria sales, according to event staffers.

Proceeds from the relay will go toward cancer research, medical labs and programs such as Look Good Feel Better, which teaches female cancer patients how to restore their looks after chemotherapy and radiation treatments, Neumiller said. The ACS also advocates the creation and enforcement of smoke-free zones, she said.

The main event of the night was an all-night walk around the gym from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Luminarias also were lit and placed at the track’s edge in remembrance of friends and family fighting cancer as well as those who had passed away. Later in the evening, the relay paused for a somber reading of the names.

The rest of the night was considerably brighter, with a Mardi Gras mask contest, a hypnotist and a battle of the bands, among other diversions.

As the night wore on, the number of students seen sleeping or resting steadily grew.

“I think everyone’s hitting a wall right now,” freshman undeclared major Matt Libman said.

Despite the lack of sleep, Libman said he thought most people would be able to pull through the night.

The goals of Colleges Against Cancer are to educate college students about cancer research and awareness and help the community through cancer fundraisers and services, Neumiller said.

For more information about the organization, call 756-6202 or e-mail [email protected].