Volunteers offer assistance for filing taxes

By Mike Neumann

Taxpayers who have yet to file their tax returns have until Thursday to get them done.

Volunteers with the American Association of Retired People Tax-Aide program and other AARP volunteers will be at the Sycamore Public Library, 103 E. State St., from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. today and from 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Thursday to help people prepare their tax returns.

“People should bring last year’s returns, their W-2s and any other interests, dividends and other miscellaneous incomes they may have,” said Vernon Ray, an AARP Tax-Aide program member.

Ray said the group has volunteered its services in DeKalb, Sycamore, Genoa, Sandwich and Kingston for about 10 years. He said the group did about 1,300 returns last year.

Jim Young, an NIU associate accountancy professor, said most students have had taxes withheld and are subject to possible refunds.

“If you don’t file taxes, you also can be subject to several penalties, some being significant,” Young said.

Young said there are too many penalties to name, and the punishments vary case by case.

Students also can file taxes electronically at home using such programs and online services like TurboTax or TaxBrain, but Young said it probably is better for students new to taxpaying to file taxes with assistance.