Summer tuition rates undecided

By Gerold Shelton

Students who sign up for summer school classes won’t know the cost per credit hour until at least May 15 because of delays in Springfield regarding the state budget. Classes generally start June 14 and go through Aug. 6. Some classes, such as Spanish, begin as early as May 24.

An increase in the number of students signing up for summer housing has yet to be seen, as sign-ups for summer housing began Monday.

Room rates throughout the summer will be the same rate as the spring semester.

Only the cafeteria in Grant Hall will be open during the summer, so meal plans are not available. However, students may use Huskie Bucks in place of dining dollars.

Classrooms at DuSable Hall are scheduled to shut down this summer, but offices and other parts of the building should remain open if no additional budget cuts are enacted.

NIU’s summer 2004 course listings do not show any classes scheduled to meet at DuSable Hall.

“Last year, people didn’t have access to the building at all,” said Bob Albanese, associate vice president and director of Finance and Facilities. “It does impact a lot of people when a building is closed.”

The university saved between $30,000 and $40,000 in utility costs by closing DuSable Hall last summer, Albanese said. Some utilities still would have to be paid.

“We can segment the building and shut off utilities for certain rooms,” Albanese said. “It costs a lot for air conditioning, especially during peak heat hours.”

Although savings from shutting a building down are substantial, it is not possible to close some buildings on campus, Albanese said.

“We can’t vary the temperatures in some buildings, such as the music building, because of the equipment,” he said.

No decision has been made regarding shortened hours at Founders Memorial Library.

“That will be a decision later, too, based on budgets,” Albanese said.

A decision to hold a five-day workweek this summer also is on hold until the Illinois state budget is set.

“Those decisions can’t be made until we have a good idea on the budget,” said Ivan Legg, executive vice president and provost.