Dinner to honor sorority women

By LaShaunna Watkins

Sorority women will be honored at Iota Phi Theta’s “Behind Every Strong Fraternity Man Stands a Strong Sorority Woman” Women’s History Month Dinner.

The dinner will be held at 7 p.m. today at the Wesley Foundation. 633 W. Locust St.

Demetrius Harvey, vice president of Iota Phi Theta, said the purpose of the event is to recognize the good deeds that all sororities have done on campus.

“We feel that there are many things sororities do on campus that go unrecognized,” he said. “We just wanted to put them in the spotlight for one night.”

The event will begin with a welcoming to the women in the sorority. This portion of the dinner will be a reflection of the work of sororities on campus, Harvey said. All achievements will be noted, however large or minute, he said.

“Sororities do so much community service work,” Harvey said. “They’re the backbone of this campus.”

There will be a contest at the dinner where each organization will be quizzed on women’s history, Harvey said. The sorority that wins will receive a gift.

Harvey said sororities should come to the event to promote unity among the sororities on campus.

“Sororities will have a chance to talk about different program ideas or co-sponsoring programs,” Harvey said.

Harvey said the event is open to members of any sorority on campus.