New student group receives approval

By Nick Swedberg

A student organization that wants to bring more diverse entertainment to campus sparked debate about its possible role on campus among Student Association senators when it came up for recognition at Sunday’s senate meeting.

On-Point Entertainment, a student organization whose goal is to bring unity in diversity by hosting more shows geared to students, was approved in a nearly unanimous vote.

Some senators questioned whether the organization could become a part of existing campus entertainment-providing groups.

SA Senator Peggy Keiner asked the representatives of On-Point Entertainment why they wish to seek recognition when other organizations on campus exist with similar goals.

The Campus Activities Board, a pre-existing student organization whose purpose is to bring entertainment to campus, was brought up as an example.

“I don’t think CAB responds to all the students,” said Ashlin Johnson, future vice president of On-Time Entertainment. “It responds to some, but not to all.”

SA Vice President Andrew Becerra spoke in defense of the entertainment group. He said numerous other student organizations on campus provide entertainment and have approval.

Claton said the group donates profits from events to DeKalb’s Hope Haven shelter and other charities in the area.

The senate also approved the creation of a student organizational survey, created by the University Services Committee, which is one of the senate’s committees. The survey is intended to solicit information from SA-recognized student organizations on campus, said Latienda Williams, an SA senator and chair of the University Services Committee.

The senate approved the resolution to create the survey with two amendments. The first will allow the committee to create the questions but requires senate approval. The second makes the committee responsible for disseminating the survey and collecting the results.