Making a wave

By Kristin Cavarretta

NIU students and members of the Greek community will splash around Sunday at the conclusion of Delta Gamma’s 23rd annual Anchor Splash events.

Sixteen groups, which include fraternities, sororities and the NIU Silverettes, are participating in this year’s Anchor Splash. Each group paired with another to form a team to compete in the week’s events.

During the week, the chapter had the ongoing “Most Beautiful Eyes” competition in which students could put change in a cup to support a particular team. If students put $1 in any of the teams’ cups, though, it counted as negative points for that team, which made this year’s contest more interesting.

“It’s been really competitive this year,” said Melissa Laffey, director of Anchor Splash.

At 1 p.m. Sunday, the teams will compete in swimming relay events held at the Gabel Hall pool. They will compete in six relay races, one of which will require the teams to swim through the pool wearing sweatshirts.

At 7 p.m. at the Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom, the teams will show off their performing skills in the lip-sync competition, which some teams have been preparing for weeks. One couple from each team will compete for the title of Mr. and Mrs. Anchor Splash. After both of these events, the winners from the entire week will be announced, and trophies will be awarded.

“I think the best thing is seeing everyone come out and participate and have a good time,” Laffey said.

Admission to an individual event is $3, and a wristband for both events can be purchased for $5. All proceeds are donated to the chapter’s philanthropy group, Service For Sight. Last year, about $6,000 was raised, but they hope to surpass that this year, Laffey said.

Laffey stressed that participation in these events is open to all organizations every year and she would like to see more participation in the future.

“It’s not just for Greeks,” she said. “It would be nice to see other people come out.”