Athletes in college deserve their share

By Mark Pickrel

A USA Today study estimated that St. Joseph’s point guard Jameer Nelson is worth $2 million to the university.

Four years ago when Nelson came to St Joseph’s, the team had suffered through three straight losing seasons.

Now, the No. 1 seed in the East Region, St. Joe’s is two games away from the Final Four.

If Nelson truly is responsible for this rise in popularity, it’s time he and all other NCAA athletes receive compensation for their efforts.

Nelson’s situation is not uncommon.

At Gonzaga University in Spokane, Wash., the basketball program has risen to national prominence and has reached the NCAA tournament the past six years.

In 1997, which was the last year Gonzaga did not reach the NCAA tournament, 1,705 freshmen applied to the university, and the freshmen enrollment was 550.

Six NCAA tournament appearances later, freshmen applications have more than doubled to 3,713, and freshmen enrollment has swelled to 908.

“It’s well documented that when athletics are visible, it gives the university more visibility,” NIU basketball coach Rob Judson said. With the exception of a full scholarship, the players receive no compensation for bringing the school all the extra money.

NIU has created a waiting list for freshmen applications after applications rose 40 percent.

“Northern has become more and more popular over the years,” NIU Director of Admissions Robert Burk told the Northern Star on Jan. 12. “Football has a lot to do with keeping that positive buzz, just a little bit more than what we had in the past. I think that’s important.”

Someone at the school is getting a raise; why not make it the players who brought the school the attention?

The likeness of college athletes is all over. Both bookstores on campus sell NIU football jerseys with No. 32 on them.

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out those are Michael Turner jerseys. However, unlike his professional counterparts, he doesn’t see any money for people selling his likeness.

Video games are the same way. Same likeness, no money.

When a player signs a scholarship to play at NIU, he or she receives tuition, room, board and books.

What NCAA athletes need is a flat amount paid to all Division I athletes, regardless of sport.

While the football team has been carrying the weight in recent years, it doesn’t hurt to see NIU wrestler Ben Heizer on TV, as he was Saturday at the nationals in St. Louis, broadcast on ESPN2.

Nearly every NCAA championship is covered live by TV. Therefore, seeing the lesser-known sports like volleyball, soccer and track also help the university.

This flat fee would be paid equally to all athletes regardless of sport and regardless of school.

This would be a kind of revenue sharing that would keep schools equal and reward everybody.

If athletes make more at one school than another, it would skew the course of college athletics.

The schools that made all the money would share with the schools that didn’t. This way, smaller schools can continue to compete with larger schools.

This whole plan rewards the players for their hard work.

NCAA athletics is a 365-days-a-year job. You can’t show up to camp anymore to get in shape. You have to show up to camp already in shape.

Who outside of Alabama ever cared about UAB before this past weekend’s NCAA tournament? Now, because a team of 12 guys won two basketball games, people from coast to coast are talking about them.

It’s time for a change. College sports are now a multimillion-dollar industry.

These players should be the ones reaping the benefits of their hard work.