O’ is for ombudsman

By Sarah Rejnert

OK, hot shot – explain what NIU’s ombudsman does. Five-four-three-two-one. Too late.

Many NIU students probably have seen brochures advertising the Office of the Ombudsman and probably have heard that title tossed around a few times, but does anyone know what he does?

Well, now is the time to meet NIU Ombudsman Tim Griffin.

“If I had to describe my job to an incoming freshman who didn’t know what I did, it would be this: A confidential and neutral resource to assist them in any university problem or concern,” Griffin said.

According to the brochure, the ombudsman will “listen to you, answer your questions, analyze your situation, explain university policies and procedures and develop options for resolving your concern in a confidential manner.”

“We deal with about 1,000 people a year,” Griffin said. “We are the busiest ombudsman office in the world per staff member here. I see trends that I identify, and from there, I contact the authorities to try to change those problems and concerns.

“Even though this year is still early, a trend that I have seen is the current bus routes. I think our physical distance of the campus is so large now with both Barsema [Hall] and the Convocation Center that the traveling is a great concern. Also, an oldie-but-a-goodie that I see every year is the encumbrance of students with classes from last spring.”

The most rewarding part of Griffin’s job is the feeling of helping people.

“I not only let them come in and vent their frustration,” Griffin said. “They come in hopeless, and leave feeling hopeful. It is very, very rewarding and important to me to help people.”

So, now you know what the ombudsman does. But what, exactly, does that word mean?

“People always put the ‘S’ in the wrong spot,” Griffin said. “What I was told, it is loosely translated from a Scandinavian language, maybe Swedish, to mean ‘for all people.’”

Griffin’s normal work day consists of more than the traditional eight hours. A work week never includes less than 50 hours.

Each day consists of one to two hours of working through various correspondence, such as policies, procedures, different cases and questions from students. Then Griffin partakes in three to four hours of working face-to-face with different members of the NIU community with concerns. Finally, he spends between one and two hours in various meetings around campus.

Before Griffin became NIU’s ombudsman, he worked for 20 years in either administration or as faculty at several colleges and high schools. In 1980, he interned with an ombudsman’s office and loved the work. He saw an ad for an ombudsman opening at NIU, and applied for it because he really enjoyed the work.

“I think I make a greater difference as an ombudsman than as a faculty member.”

The NIU community knows Griffin by his long natural beard.

“It’s who I am,” he said.

Griffin spends his free time on hobbies like woodworking and needlepoint, examples can be seen in each room of the office.

He also has a passion for music. If he was stuck on a deserted island, he said three things he would want would be food, water and “something with which to make music on.”

Griffin also mentioned his long-term goals.

“My future professional plans would be to continue to stimulate improvement in the NIU community in every way possible,” he said. “In my personal life, it would be to continue to grow spiritually.”

Griffin hopes students realize that his office is a free, safe and comfortable atmosphere where everyone is welcome, and he is willing to listen and help.

The Office of the Ombudsman is located at the Holmes Student Center, Room 601. It’s open during NIU’s traditional business hours, which are from 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.