Your mom might find out

By Courtney Cavanaugh

If you get busted while partying in the residence halls, your parents might get a phone call about it.

NIU Judicial Director Larry Bolles said a letter will be sent to the parents of underage students when a situation arises where a student poses a danger to themselves or others.

“We will contact parents for drug and alcohol violations,” he said.

FERPA, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act established in 1976, is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records.

Changes were made to FERPA in 2000 “permitting non-consensual disclosure to parents and legal guardians of students under the age of 21, regarding a student’s violation of laws or policies governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance.”

“We can release information to appropriate persons in connection with an emergency,” said Sheri Kallembach, associate director of the Office of Registration and Records.

However, that action only will be taken when a serious issue arises or if the student has repeat violations.

“We’re not stopping every student with a can of beer in their hand,” Bolles said.

He added that the Judicial Office usually gets its information from student tips or if University Police respond to a situation.

Most parents agree with the idea.

Greg Blackert, whose daughter is a sophomore at NIU, said a policy should be in place for better control.

Phyllis Bland, whose son is a freshman, also had some concerns.

“I would like to know,” she said. “Since my husband and I are taking care of him financially, we should have notification.”

Some students also agree with the FERPA regulation.

Lonnie Pollard, a junior business management major, said that even though a student may be 18, parents should be informed.

“In extreme cases, I can see where it would be beneficial,” he said.

Kallembach said as a parent, she would want to know if there was a problem.

“I would want to know if I need to be involved,” she said.