CAB seeks student input on films

By Nichole Hetrick

In an effort to solicit more interest, the CAB Films committee is surrendering the decision making to the students.

The last scheduled movie showing was at 8 p.m. Sunday night at the Holmes Student Center’s Carl Sandburg Auditorium. How many people showed up to watch the free playing of “The Original Kings of Comedy”? Zero.

Laisha Fox, vice president of programming and activities for CAB, said she hopes that by involving students in the decision-making process, they will be more likely to take advantage of the free shows.

“The power lies in the hands of the student body,” Fox said.

The power is in the form of the advertised survey found on this page. CAB not only wants movie titles, but also the best times for showings and theme ideas.

“We want to know if people want to see blockbusters, classics that they missed on the big screen or even independent art films,” said M.J. Guerin, CAB public relations coordinator. “Just let us know.”

CAB soon will be ordering the movies for next semester.

“Why should we be making these decisions for [students] when they could be making them for themselves?” Fox said. “I’m going to sit back and be responsive to the feedback we get.”

CAB usually shows one movie twice a week at 8 p.m. in the Sandburg Auditorium. Sometimes the time and/or location will change depending on the availability of the space. Up-to-date information can be found on CAB’s Web site (www.niu.edu/cab).

This week’s movie, showing at 8 p.m. today, is “Nutty Professor II.” Next week’s movie is “Harry Potter.” In addition to the Thursday showing, there is one at the same time Sunday.

If neither of these movies sound appealing, the CAB Films survey is available to provide suggestions for next semester’s films.