Boogie down with PRISM

By Melanie M. Schroeder

One student group has created a way to bring together a variety of people to promote understanding and good times.

PRISM is a student organization that supports lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students. The group holds a variety of cultural, educational, professional and entertaining events and welcomes students regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity to participate.

The organization hosts monthly dances for all students. They are held from 9:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. in the Flamingo Lounge in the lower level of Eduardo’s Mexican Restaurant, 214 E. Lincoln Highway. The dances offer a variety of music, Mexican hors d’oeuvres and a friendly atmosphere. For a variety of music, people are allowed to bring their own CDs.

Karen Frost, a junior communication major and PRISM’s co-president, said the dances are held to give LGBT students an outlet to meet new friends.

“There’s no places, no gay bars, where people can feel comfortable,” she said. “The dances are for people to know that they can be who they are and not worry about what people think. Like, a girl can dance with her girlfriend and not worry about what people are going to think about it.”

Heath Johnson, a sophomore psychology major and PRISM’s publicity coordinator, has attended past dances.

“They’re fun when more people show up, that’s for sure,” he said. “I think it depends on the crowd whether it will be fun or not.”

Participants must be 18 and have an NIU OneCard ID to enter. The cover charge is $5 and a state ID is required to drink.

For more information, call 753-0584, e-mail [email protected] or stop by the PRISM office at the Campus Life Building, Room 190M.