Otto’s: Thinking Big

By Janna Smallwood

Year after year since the early ’90s, DeKalb has rested in a weekend slump that seems inescapable. But one local establishment hopes to wake up the sleepy weekends with a slick, new atmosphere and bigger-name bands.

Otto’s Niteclub, 118 E. Lincoln Highway, is one of those establishments. Co-owner Duff Rice said keeping students in town on the weekends is a task that goes far beyond the walls of Otto’s.

“We’re all in this together,” he said, speaking of other night spots, as well as university attractions. “I think everybody wants that. Everybody benefits from the students staying.”

Rice said the city that once hosted acts such as the Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam and the Red Hot Chili Peppers could rise back to that status if the entertainment and campus communities worked together.

“We’ve talked to John Gordon over at the convocation center about partnering up on doing some shows there,” he said. “We would like to help the school and we’re offering our services, any leverage we can bring to the table, to help bring shows. They don’t have to be at Otto’s. I want the whole community to win here.”

Rice said he’s also willing to advise the Campus Activities Board, having 15 years of experience and connections with the House of Blues to offer.

“I really want them to succeed,” he said. “The more things that are going on at the school and in DeKalb, the better for everybody.

“Hopefully, within the next six months to a year, I’d like to take a more active role in being really aggressive with the school, and go to the school and say, ‘Here’s what I can do, and here’s what we should do together.’ If someone were to approach me from the school, I’d be all ears and I’d love to help out right now,” Rice added.

Otto’s, which Rice and co-owner Stan Doty acquired less than a year ago, already has attracted large acts such as Ted Nugent, the Violent Femmes and They Might Be Giants. More large acts are slated to appear, such as Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and The North Mississippi Allstars, but bringing large acts is only part of the equation for attracting students.

“We’re working on some fun promotions for the underground,” Rice said. “We’re going to do karaoke on Tuesdays, and we’re starting to book a lot of live music downstairs – every Friday and Saturday you can see a free live band down there.”

Rice said the underground is open to any type of act, from latin to metal music.

Deejays and an open mic night will round out the downstairs entertainment, he added.

Bigger acts will continue to perform upstairs and bands often are announced on the club’s Web site, www.ottosdekalb.com, before print announcements appear, Rice said.

Offering patrons an attractive, comfortable atmosphere is an essential aspect, as shown by its ongoing renovations. Visitors already are taking notice, according to one Otto’s insider.

“People are coming earlier and staying later, and sitting in places they wouldn’t have before,” manager Marco Valentino said.

The club’s downstairs area, which resembled a dingy basement not long ago, has brightened up with a new paint job, freshly painted tables, new tiles, new carpeting and more lights. Plans to open larger bathrooms in the lower section of the underground still are underway. Rice said the work is far from over, with plans to re-upholster booths, add or change existing tables and chairs and raise part of the ceiling to open up the area.

Many students have blamed a lack of 18-and-older weekend events for their full suitcases. In an effort to change that, Otto’s has reached an agreement with the city of DeKalb to allow two 18-and-older shows. Mike and Joe will perform Sunday night and Rearview Mirror will perform Wednesday, Jan. 30. The shows will cost $5 and $4, respectively.

For more information about shows and other events, check the Web site or call Otto’s at 758-2715.