Huskie Bus Line: Working for the weekend

By J.D. Piland

The Huskie Bus Line will begin a new bus route at 2 p.m. Friday to Fox Valley Mall in Aurora.

Last semester, the Student Association Senate approved the new route, but this semester will be a trial run only, said Christy Hartnett, SA director of transportation.

Originally slated to begin last Friday, the route was postponed a week when the NIU box office and the SA were unable to agree on ticket sales. However, the situation was resolved and the bus will run Fridays starting at 2 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays starting at 11 a.m.

Some students think the new line will be beneficial.

“There is a lot of stuff over there,” said April Macatangay, a sophomore art education major. “I will probably use it a lot because I work near there and I don’t have a car here at school.”

There are other reasons that seem to motivate students to use the new shuttle, however.

“Around here, there isn’t much to do, things are pretty limited,” Macatangay said, “so I can see a lot of people using it to get home or go to the city.”

Freshman accounting major Teresa Smith agreed.

“I work every Saturday and if my mom can’t pick me up, I will have to use the bus,” she said. “Plus, I also like to shop, so I will definitely use it.”

The bus will leave the Holmes Student Center, make its first stop at the Aurora train station and then travel to Fox Valley Mall. After picking up and dropping off riders, the bus will head back to the HSC. The round trip will take approximately two-and-a-half hours.

The bus line tickets will be available at the SA office at the Campus Life Building, Room 180.

The SA is working on putting them on sale at the box office in the HSC. However, the tickets will not be available in the box office until early February, Hartnett predicted.