Let us entertain U

By Jeff Goluszka and Janna Smallwood

DeKalb is home to a variety of night spots, each appealing to a different crowd.

Locally, Campus Activities Board is trying to provide something for students to do as well.

“We cater to all students, it doesn’t matter your age or where you live,” CAB Concerts coordinator Jo-Ann Bracelly said. “We usually have our shows on campus, and we’re trying to bring bigger names.”

CAB also hopes to provide a variety of shows.

“We’re trying to increase the number of diverse shows this semester as opposed to last semester,” Bracelly said. “I think our Diversions shows will be a little more diverse this year. We’re gonna do our best to cater to everyone.”

Many CAB-sponsored shows take place in the Diversions Lounge, located in the Holmes Student Center’s lower level.

For more information about CAB, call 753-1580.

For students willing to travel off-campus for a night of entertainment, Starbusters, 930 Pappas Drive, has tried to provide an open party atmosphere.

“We’ve remodeled the place,” owner Nick Tsiftilis said. “The stage is taller, it’s all open now, we took the cabinets out that sort of horseshoed the bar. We took out the overhang and just opened it all up. You can breathe — it’s like one big party.”

Starbusters plans to continue to invite crowd-pleasing tribute bands and other local bands on a regular basis, Tsiftilis said. Some of this semester’s schedule will include a Caribbean rock band, Crash (Dave Matthews Band tribute), Wicked Garden, Howard and The White Boys and J.P. and The Cats.

“A good portion of them are cover bands. People love cover bands,” he said. “They like music that they can sing along to. Some of them throw in their original stuff but not as much.”

Tsiftilis also mentioned the bar has added more TVs and will have about 25 to focus more on sporting events. He also mentioned an atmosphere friendly to non-smokers.

“We have tall ceilings and exhaust fans that suck out the smoke,” he said. “It’s not really smoky, your eyes don’t hurt.”

For more information about Starbusters, call 756-3438.

Andy’s Tavern, 317 E. Lincoln Highway, attracts a diverse crowd, co-owner Robert Goering said.

“We appeal to the whole town and university,” Goering said.

He added that patrons come in for the drink specials, but once the adjoining club McCabe’s re-opens, students will have another reason to go there.

McCabe’s, 323 E. Lincoln Highway, closed two years ago. Remodeling is under way and the club is slated to re-open within the next two months. Goering said the re-opening will make the establishments appeal to a wider crowd, with McCabe’s styled like a dance club and Andy’s maintaining its more casual atmosphere.

Keeping in mind that students often go out in small groups, Goering said an emphasis will be placed on creating a cozier atmosphere at Andy’s.

For more information about Andy’s, call 748-3314.

Molly’s Eatery and Drinkery, 1022 W. Lincoln Highway, and Amnesia, 1000 W. Lincoln Highway, will continue their traditional themed nights and dance parties, co-owner Chris Carpenter said.

“We offer a general quality of service and friendliness, competitive drink specials, a great location,” Carpenter said.

He mentioned various Molly’s promotions, including Mardi Gras Mondays, South of the Border Thursdays and indoor tailgating parties for Chicago Bears football playoff games.

Amnesia will continue its high-energy dance parties on weekends as well as karaoke on Wednesdays.

For more information about Molly’s, call 758-2120. For more about Amnesia, call 756-8381.

The Annex/Lord Stanley’s, 142 E. Lincoln Highway, isn’t approaching any major changes this semester, said the owner, who goes by the name Lightning.

The adjoining bars’ attraction is their laid-back atmospheres, he added.

“What we have to offer is a place where a lot of older students come, and they don’t have to stand in the corner and wait for a beer,” Lightning said.

The Annex and Lord Stanley’s do not offer specials like some of the other establishments in town, but Lightning said the bars’ prices are lower overall.

Lord Stanley’s does not have a phone number, but information about the bar can be obtained through its in-house pizzeria, World Famous, at 756-8718.