Don’t take life for granted

By Jenan Diab

The more knowledge and experience I gain in life, the more I worry, the more I’m somewhat confused and the harder I have to work.

As my first semester at NIU comes to an end, I’ve worked my patootie trying to be a good reporter, student and friend. Occasionally, the thought of giving up this responsibility has crossed my mind, but that’s quickly dismissed after two seconds.

I miss the good old days when I would come home from school and watch my favorite television shows, “Sesame Street” and “Mister Roger’s Neighborhood” followed by “He-Man” and “She-ra.” I miss the good old days when I wasn’t required to take anything seriously. I miss the good old days when I had zero responsibilities. I miss the good old days when my sister would make up bedtime stories. I miss the good old days when I would run through the sprinklers on warm summer afternoons.

Life has not gotten any easier since the good old days.

Ten years from now, I probably will see the good old days as racing to meet deadlines at the Northern Star, cramming for final exams, discussing social issues in class and staying up all night drinking coffee to study while looking forward to the weekend with friends.

Even though my life now will be the good old days in 10 years, lately I’m finding life particularly difficult.

It is the 22nd day into the month of Ramadan and finals are right around the corner.

What is Ramadan, you ask? Now surely you have heard about it in passing or on the news.

Does it have to do with Muslims, you ask?

If you said “yes,” then bravo, you are correct. If you have an inkling that it has to do with fasting, then bravo, again — you’re right.

Ramadan is the holiest month in the Islamic calender that lasts 29 to 30 days. During the month, Muslims, and yes I’m Muslim, are expected to abstain from food, from sunrise till sunset.

Why do Muslims fast?

Muslims fast to bring themselves closer to God through reflection and to understand what it feels like for the less fortunate.

How do Muslims reflect?

They reflect through prayer, recitation of Qur’an (the holy scripture for Muslims), fasting and simply pondering life.

Why is this an important month to Muslims?

It is the month when the Qur’an was first revealed 1,400 years ago.

At the end of this holy month, Muslims celebrate one of their biggest holidays during the year, Eid Al-Fitar, which translates to “Breaking of the Fast.” On this blessed holiday, Muslims go to their local mosques and participate in group prayer. Afterwards, friends and family greet each other with kisses, hugs and happy holiday wishes. They then eat sweets and exchange gifts.

For Muslims who can afford it, a percentage of their income is required to be given to charity before the Eid.

I’m very much looking forward to this holiday, which, coincidentally, falls between Hannukah and Christmas this year. So before I forget, Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Ramadan and Happy Eid.

Not only is this month extra special because of the diverse holiday season, but it also is extra special because I, the baby of the family, the last child of six, will be turning 21. I already can see my mom tearing up.

Life has treated me well. Over the years, Ramadan has come and gone, but as a busy college student this year, I’m finding it more difficult to fast. In between studying and working, I really could sneak to the Holmes Student Center for a quick snack.

One thing I’m reminded of during Ramadan is that life may be hard at times, but it’s not nearly as hard as it is for some. After 12 hours of no food or water every day for 30 days, I am free to drink and eat whatever I please every night. The less fortunate don’t have that option. They don’t have the option of picking up lunch at McDonald’s or worrying about studying for a test. They have to worry about where their next meal will come from and how to keep warm during cold winter months. In Ramadan, I realize that I’m only experiencing a fraction of what the less fortunate feel.

I’ve learned this month that life really isn’t hard. It could be a lot worse and the good old days are every day. I’m one lucky girl to have the responsibilities that I do.