Low gas prices may not stick around for Thanksgiving time

By Todd Krysiak

NIU students and DeKalb residents were hitting the pumps this weekend, taking advantage of the low gas prices and preparing for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Luke Stevens, a sophomore biology major and cashier at the Clark Station, 125 N. Annie Glidden, said the store had a busy weekend.

“(Saturday) was extremely busy — we almost ran out of gas,” Stevens said. “Saturday was the second busiest day I’ve ever seen, second to Sept. 11, people were lined up at the pumps.”

Stevens said the price had risen by Sunday evening from 89 cents to 99 cents a gallon.

“We sometimes change the sign three or four times in a day,” Stevens said. “The prices can go up or down 30 cents in a day.”

Customers were skeptical about the prices remaining low this week as Thanksgiving approaches.

“Prices tend to shoot up during holidays, so I don’t really expect this to last,” Malta resident Dave Gommel said as he filled his tank at Casey’s General Store, 1001 N. Annie Glidden Road.

DeKalb resident Roger Johnson returned from a trip to Wis., where prices were over $1.

“I was happy to see the low prices when I got back into town,” said Johnson, who doesn’t expect the low prices to last.

Joe Koeune, an NIU senior elementary education major, said he hasn’t seen prices this low in quite some time.

“I think the lowest I have seen in a while was like 95 cents when I was a freshman,” Koeune said, as he filled his tank at 7-Eleven, 930 N. Annie Glidden Road.

Koeune expects the prices to remain low.

Tim White, an NIU art graduate student, said lower prices don’t mean much to him.

“I don’t really think about it — I just pay,” White said.