Kress: MAC deserves at-large bids

By Nick Gerts

With the Huskies winning the MAC championship and an automatic berth to the NCAA Tournament, the argument of whether the conference deserved an at-large bid began.

NIU coach Todd Kress thinks that Ball State and Bowling Green each deserve an at-large bid. Kress thinks with Conference USA getting at least three teams in the “Big Dance,” the MAC deserves the same treatment, and he thinks this is the year it should happen.

“Without a question we should get two in,” the Huskie coach said. “I think we have to set the precedent to the point where we can get three teams in. Bowling Green is a quality program and they should get in as well. We struggle and struggle to get two teams in each and every year. I know this conference is as strong at the top as Conference USA. I’d take my chances any day with Cincinnati, DePaul and Louisville.”

All-Tourney Team: Jenny Bowman and Tera Lobdell were named to the MAC All-Tournament Team.

Bowman also was named the tournament’s MVP and is the first sophomore to win the award. Bowman finished the tournament with 135 assists, good for 15 a game.

“I am shocked,” the sophomore setter said. “I am very happy, and just very surprised.”

Lobdell, a freshman outside hitter, finished the tournament with 38 kills and 30 digs.

“I came in and I didn’t know what to expect,” Lobdell said. “I made a great decision on where I wanted to go.”

Lobdell also was named to the MAC All-Freshmen team and has a chance to be named MAC Freshman of the Year.

Kress said he could not believe the way this freshman has played all season.

“As a freshman, I would never expect her to do the things she has been able to do,” Kress said. “I keep telling her, she surprises me every night with the things she has been able to do.”

Doesn’t happen often: Ball State only has been held to under 20 points in any game three times this season. Wisconsin held the Cardinals to 16 points while Northern Iowa and NIU held them to 17.