Mix of art, dance promises good vibrations

By Jenan Diab and Melanie M. Schroeder

An interconnection of hip-hop, music mixes, contemporary art, poses, windmills, head-spins and other breakdance signature moves — not to mention free food — will kick-off the Visual Vibes opening show at noon today at the Holmes Student Center Gallery.

We’re making everything visually exciting with good music and making an atmosphere that blends together, said junior art major Frank DiGiovanni.

A connection between DiGiovanni’s paintings and professional deejay skills, provided by junior visual communication major Jordan Polonsky, and breakdancing group Sub Element, makes up ‘Visual Vibes,’ the opening premiere of DiGiovanni’s art show. The artwork spans two years and will be on display in the student center gallery through Saturday.

“It’s urban, almost like graffiti-art,” said Shaun Allhouse, the visual arts coordinator for Campus Activities Board and senior illustration visual arts coordinator.

DiGiovanni gets his inspiration from his sketches of everyday life.

“Sometimes I think it’s funny to incorporate what people think is cool and funny,” he said. “From a historical perspective, 20 years from now, I can go back and say, ‘that was silly.'”

DiGiovanni has shown work at JR Kortman Gallery and Market Street Gallery in Rockford, Ill., and designed a playbill for the New American Theatre of Rockford.

“I just wanted to show my artwork and incorporate a lot of people from the university and have a lot of exciting things happen,” DiGiovanni said.

Be on the look out for surprises in the art and music departments, Polonsky said.

Sub Element will freestyle to the mixes of Jordan Polonsky.

I’ve been into music since I was a little kid, and I’ve always been infatuated with my own mixes, Polonsky said.

Polonsky’s music style is hip-hop infused with older rap.

“My inspiration basically comes from the people who listen to it,” he said. “It’s geared more toward my audience. It’s non-commercial.”

Polonsky also runs his own business, RDJ entertainment, which caters to house parties. His brother oversees the business while he focuses on the college scene.

Breakdancing, a hip-hop dance that emerged in the late 1970s and carried on the through the ’80s, went underground in the early ’90s, but is slowly making its way back into the mainstream.

“Breakdance is like my hobby, my passion,” said Ricardo Rosales, senior OMIS major and founding member of Sub Element. “If I don’t dance for two or three days, I start to itch.”

Sub Element members attribute some of breakdance’s mainstream comeback to the Backstreet Boys and Christina Aguilera’s videos, in which signature breakdancing moves are used.

Breakdancing movies like Beat Street and Breaking I and II are some of Sub Element’s greatest inspirations.

“We try to support each other and teach each other moves,” said Chris Lising, member of Sub Element and junior undeclared health and human services major. “It’s something positive that keeps us out of trouble.”

The Sub Element dance group has been at NIU for about four years. Performances include the Apollo show and performances in the student center’s Diversions Lounge.

“People will miss out on a lot of positive work from students on campus,” DiGiovanni said.

Polonsky hopes people find a deeper meaning behind the funky music and unique artwork.

“I want people to notice that art just isn’t paintings and it relates to a lot of stuff,” he said.