Want to be a quitter?

By Lisa Weber

Seven out of 10 NIU students choose not to smoke, and nine out of 10 students that do smoke want to quit, said Mary Strohm from Health Enhancement Services. The Xtreme Air program is the answer to helping students kick the habit.

“The Xtreme Air program was developed as a smoking cessation program for NIU students,” Strohmsaid. “It is a one-on-one program where students meet with a coach to develop an individual strategy to help them quit.”

Xtreme Air is in its third year, Strohm said.

“The first year was a trial year,” Strohm said. “This year we are really promoting it. There is no charge in the program because we want to be here to help students quit.”

Xtreme Air is a program like one at the University of Pittsburgh, Strohm said.

“A committee of people from Health Services modified their program to fit the students of NIU,” Strohm said.

Xtreme Air includes four steps to get started.

“First, the student needs to come to Health Services Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.,” Strohm said. “Second, they need to watch a 35 minute video titled ‘Butt Out,’ which includes reasons for quitting. Then the student needs to fill out two forms about their smoking history. Last, the student should go to Health Enhancement Services to meet with a coach to develop a plan to quit.”

The program has had positive feedback from the students that were involved.

“This year will be a good indicator of how successful the program will be,” Strohm said. “So far this year, we’ve had between 20-25 students join the program.”

Joanne Beynon, a junior pre-physical therapy major, wants to quit smoking.

“My health is really important to me,” Beynon said. “I would join the Xtreme Air program because from what I hear, I think it would help.”

The average time for a student to quit smoking varies greatly, Strohm said.

“Research has shown that quitting cold turkey is the best way,” Strohm said. “When you meet with a coach, you set a quit date. That day can’t be a highly stressful day. Some students are really ready to quit when they come in; others have never tried to quit before.”

When students enroll in the program, they receive a nicotine patch or gum, Strohm said.

“Research has shown that the nicotine patch or gum doubles the rate of success to quit smoking,” Strohm said. “It alleviates withdrawal symptoms and tends to work best for nicotine withdrawal. Nicotine replacement helps people get used to not smoking, and it’s best if used with the Xtreme Air program.”

Strohm used to work for a health care center smoking cessation program, which is how she became interested in the Xtreme Air program.

“It’s a very rewarding experience,” Strohm said. “It is a great thing to improve the health status of other people and help them quit smoking.”

Strohm wants to make sure that students understand the main message.

“There is a misconception that everyone smokes on campus,” Strohm said.

The Xtreme Air program is only one option for students to quit smoking.

“Another option is the Quit Kit,” Strohm said. “Students need to fill out a one page survey when they pick it up. It has information, hand-outs and supplies to help students quit smoking.”