Greek panel strives for diversity

By Stephanie Barnes

No matter the letter, we’re all Greek together.

The forum for “Diversity in Greek Culture” was held Wednesday in the Holmes Student Center’s Regency Room. The panel included nine members of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, the Inter-Fraternity Council, Pan-Hellenic and Christopher Juhl, activities adviser for Greek affairs.

The panel consisted of four African-Americans, one Caucasian and four Latino representatives. The majority of the audience was African-American. The discussion was held in order to answer the question: “Why is there a lack of unity among Greek fraternities and sororities on the NIU campus?”

Troy Caldwell, president of the Student Association, thinks there is a distinctive uneasiness when Greek organizations try to unite.

“I think the real dialogue has to happen with the individuals,” he said. “We need to start with programming first because people cannot just unite all of a sudden. Once we work on doing events together, then we can learn how to get along with each on a personal level.”

Many minority NIU students also wonder why there aren’t any black fraternities and sororities on Greek Row.

Chene Weems, president of Zeta Phi Beta, said there is little or no support from outside organizations.

“We do not receive funding from our alumni association,” she said. “There is also a lack of respect for each other, so we cannot be totally unified.”

Emiko Pope, president of the RHA, asked the key question of the night.

“What are the three councils going to do about promoting diversity among it’s Greek organizations?” Pope asked.

Gilberto Lizalde, a member of the IFC, said the councils must go through a series of steps before reaching a common ground.

“We have to take baby steps in order for all of our councils to be united,” he said.

Many also feel that NIU does not support events that are sponsored by minority Greek fraternities and sororities. A member of Phi Beta Sigma feels that there is little concern about the development of programs that are usually sponsored through the Center of Black Studies.

Angie Dreessen, a member of Zeta Phi Beta, said she was embraced with open arms when she decided to pledge the African-American sorority.

“Still, she said, “there are NPHC organizations that do not acknowledge me.”

Gina Jones, a sophomore theater major and a non-Greek member, said she would prefer to join an African-American sorority because it deals with black culture and teaches empowerment for black americans.

Lamar McDowell, an African-American member of Sigma Pi Epsilon, says he joined the fraternity because he wanted to be around fraternity brothers with similar interests to his own.

“You don’t want to rush a house that you don’t feel comfortable with,” McDowell said. “It’s all about your personality and background and what you enjoy being a part of, “