FUTURE prepares students for workforce

By Linda Luk

Members of the student-run professional organization FUTURE may just be a step ahead when entering the working world.

An organization sponsored by the NIU Student Cooperative Education/Internship Association, FUTURE is committed to providing quality education events for students of all majors to obtain their occupational goals.

“We provide the skills and tools for students to get an internship,” said junior finance major Carrie Busch, a media relations director.

This fall, FUTURE is hosting events that will prepare students to obtain jobs or internships. These events include resume night, internship prep night and mock interview night.

“In resume night, a panel of employers will tell you the good and bad of resumes,” Busch said. “They will sit down with you and critique your resume one on one. They might give a different view than co-op would give you.”

For internship prep night and mock interview night, employers such as Motorola, Enterprise Rent-a-Car and Walgreens will come out and tell specific dos and don’ts, how to prepare and what to expect.

“On mock interview night, the employers will give you an actual interview with questions,” Busch said. “Then they will tell you how the interview went and the goods and bads.”

FUTURE member Robert Schoen said the organization is an excellent way to network with potential employers and to get an internship.

“I never would have taken the next step toward my career and got an internship at the end of my sophomore year,” Busch said.