Don’t go home!

By Todd Krysiak

Stress is often a major concern for students as the semester gets moving, but there are many ways available to students to alleviate the pressure.

Any given Friday or Saturday night, thousands of students can be seen alleviating their pressures by going out for a night on the town. The college party is always an avenue that can help students to relax and enjoy themselves. All too often, though, the party scene can get old. Hundreds of people crammed into a space intended to hold about ten can be problematic. Then you have the lack of access to alcohol topped with bad music blaring in your face, which often can create more stress than is released.

For us fortunate elders, the bars are another avenue for a relaxing and enjoyable evening out, while not having to drive very far. I also enjoy many of DeKalb’s establishments on the weekends. Once again, they too get old.

Very soon now, people will begin complaining about not having anything to do and how boring it is to be “stuck here in DeKalb.” Some will choose to hang out and watch movies, others will simply stay home and watch television.

The major choice that seems to be made by students at this university all too often is to go home.

Wrong answer.

The largest positive aspect of being a college student is the opportunity to experience new things. Where else can you be surrounded by thousands of people who are extremely close to your age and packed into such a small area? There are opportunities to meet so many different people from incredibly diverse backgrounds. What kinds of new experiences can be had when you go home?

Students need to wake up and find an alternative to going home or going to the same boring parties at the same stale places.

It took me more than three years to discover the alternative weekend relief that I needed, but I found it.

Camping.

I haven’t gone camping since I was very young with my parents, but when with a group of friends, camping can be incredibly fun. I always enjoyed just sitting around a fire with a group of friends, but camping out for multiple nights makes for a very comfortable and relaxing weekend.

The key to enjoying camping can be found in the cheesy but effective Boy Scout motto — “Be prepared.”

Check the weather before you go. Rain can put a damper on any camping trip, but be prepared in case the weatherman is wrong, because he definitely isn’t always right.

Bring any supplies that will be needed. Don’t just assume that you can purchase anything you need nearby. For anyone who has gone camping at large campsites, they can tell you that local stores often run out of the supplies that less prepared campers didn’t bring.

Finally, bring friends. The more the merrier.

If these guidelines are followed, a weekend of camping can be very entertaining.

For newcomers to NIU who may not know too many people and don’t really find a weekend by themselves in a campground full of strangers to be very enticing, the Office of Campus Recreation offers trips for everything from spelunking to kayaking. Their prices are extremely reasonable, and it’s a great way to meet new people.

So, the next time you’re about to say, “I’m tired of sitting around DeKalb,” or, “I’m going home this weekend because there’s nothing better to do here,” get some friends together and enjoy a weekend outdoors. Or make some new friends by joining an OCR trip.

Just remember that there are many ways to kick back and relax for the weekend. Simply put a little thought and a planning into the matter, and I can almost guarantee you’ll come back to school with stories to tell and plans for next weekend.