SA Expo wets appetite for involvement

By Verna Carlson-Guerrero

Some of the groups at NIU’s Orientation Expo Wednesday didn’t need the deejay or the dunk tank to invite students to take an adventure or gain knowledge about services they can utilize on campus.

The Expo was arranged by the Student Association for the purpose of introducing students to various campus organizations.

Organizations had tables set up around the King Memorial Commons to make their presence known to incoming freshmen and others.

Two of these, the Student Legal Aid Office and the Counseling and Student Development Center, provide important services free of charge to students.

Jennifer Ridge of the Student Legal Aid Office said, “We offer students legal advice and off-campus representation.” The office is staffed by two attorneys.

Eric Rosser, a graduate student of law who works at the Counseling and Student Development Center said, “We provide study skills mentoring, career counseling and support and counseling in times of emotional upset or crisis.”

Other adventures are either free, or are available at a low cost.

The Outing Center currently is offering open pool kayaking lessons for all skill levels in the Gabel Hall pool.

Senior economics major Jim Stelter smiled and said, “We teach you the strokes, and how to safely maneuver the kayak. You don’t have to be an expert.”

Kayaking expeditions are only a taste of the exciting adventures sponsored by the Outing Center, located on the west side of the Campus Recreation Center.

“Ailments such as heart disease and arterial sclerosis are reversible for those who choose to follow a vegetarian diet,” said Bill McCarthy, president of Vegetarian Education Group (VEG).

“A vegetarian diet is definitely a reliable and long-term weight loss strategy,” added McCarthy, a second year graduate assistant with a BA in philosophy.

Sometimes a new adventure is hidden in beauty or a new twist on the arts.

Kevin Davidson, a senior meteorology major, showed off Japanese-style comics at his expo table. Davidson, a member of the Anime Club, said that he would be happy to tell anyone about the comics. For more information about the Anime Club, contact Davidson at [email protected].

Groups new to NIU also had tables set up at the Orientation Expo.

One of these groups, DIVINE Women of Culture, seeks to bring diverse groups together. Sibi Abraham, a junior special education major, said the group also is hoping to include men in the future.

“We need to get ourselves together first, though,” Abraham said.

The group is sponsoring workshops for men to learn about women, said Harsha Patel, a junior OMIS major.

“We want women to see and to show their inner beauty,” Patel added.

The group’s focus is on community service and bringing different cultures together.

Ebony is another new women’s group on campus actively looking for new members to join.

Nyla Bradley, a sophomore nursing major said, “It looks like they’re coming in, going out to class and coming back to check out the tables and dance. I think after the good weather breaks, we’ll go to the dorms to promote Ebony. We’re thinking of mentoring high school and elementary school students this year as a community service work, but our primary focus is to bring women of diverse backgrounds together.”

Bradley added that despite the name Ebony, the group already is comprised of a mix of women with different backgrounds.

Other minority groups also would like to see greater diversity within their ranks.

Cassandra Liddel, Co-President of Prism and a sophomore in pre-clinical lab science said, “We’d like to work more with other groups for more activities.”