Moon men land at MTV’s VMAs

The long-awaited, star-studded evening of MTV’s Video Music Awards turned out to be a night of triumphs, tributes and technical difficulties.

Comedian Jamie Foxx hosted the awards and didn’t hesitate at taking shots at nearly every celebrity in the crowd, including A.J. McClean from the Backstreet Boys, Mariah Carey, J. Lo, J. Lo’s posterior and Britney Spears.

“This wasn’t as good as past years,” said Lamar Barnes, a junior biology major. “Jamie Foxx as a host was bad. Chris Rock was funny. Eddie Murphy was better.”

Jesse Billadeau, a freshman undecided liberal arts and sciences major, agreed.

“I thought it sucked & the host wasn’t really funny,” Billadeau said.

Fatboy Slim took home six Moon Men for his video collaboration with Christopher Walken in “Weapon of Choice.”

“It’s about time a non-mainstream band won,” freshman business major Jon Powell said after newcomer group Mudvayne took home the MTV2 award.

Alicia Keys performed her hit single “Fallin'” and won best new artist in a video.

“Alicia Keys’ performance was excellent,” said Shalin Patel, a freshman computer science major. “The vocals that she hit were amazing.”

*NSYNC took best group video and the viewer’s choice award. MTV VJ Ian Anderson expressed his disdain over the group’s awards sweep during the post-show.

“If Jesus was signing Bibles and asked me to be a fan [of *NSYNC], I wouldn’t do it,” he said.

Fans at the Metropolitan Opera House and at home were surprised and thrilled when Michael Jackson joined *NSYNC onstage for a moonwalk during their tribute to pop music.

“It was good to see Michael Jackson back on stage,” Barnes said. “He still looks like a freak, but he’s still got it.”

Producers had a difficult time throughout the show as well. The U2 performance was cut to commercial when technical problems erupted, but they came back for their set and then went on to receive the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award.

Sara Brody, a sophomore business management major, was disappointed by the lack in coordination.

“It was real ghetto,” Brody said. “When they said someone would come out, the opposite person would. Overall, it wasn’t together. It was like they just threw it together. But I did appreciate the part about Aaliyah.”

Britney Spears, who has enjoyed Moon Men attention in past years, was shut out this year and students’ opinions may be a reflection of why.

“Britney Spears needs to wear more clothes — people are only attracted to her sex appeal, not really her music,” said Esther Ma, a freshman undecided liberal arts and sciences major.

Sophomore undecided major Brian Riggins wasn’t impressed by Spears’ performance either.

“Britney Spears got panned, that was quite exciting,” he said. “No one clapped for her. That song was pretty terrible.”Newsmaker photo

Pink, Mya, Christina Aguilera, Lil’ Kim took home awards for Best Video and Best Video for a Film.