New dean boasts hard work background

By Nicholas Utech

With her high spirits and strong goals, it’s hard to believe that Chris Sorensen, the newly announced dean for the college of education, didn’t think she would get the job.

“They just needed someone to step up to the box,” Sorensen said.

Hard work is not new for Sorensen — she is a mother of four who never received a high school diploma, let alone any degree, until she was married.

“I tell my students I have a different background,” Sorensen said.

The lack of a high school diploma didn’t hinder Sorensen from attending Iowa State University, where she received her bachelor’s degree in communication. She didn’t intend to get her master’s degree but was encouraged by Dan Robinson, an Iowa State higher education professor, to pursue a Ph.D. in education.

“He said that I really should get my master’s, and that one day I will be a leader,” Sorensen said. “I didn’t think I could get it. Without Dan Robinson pushing me I wouldn’t be here today.”

Sorensen enjoys making her students feel comfortable in her classroom.

“We play lots of games in my classes,” she said. “One game is called Stat Stars, which is sort of like Family Feud.”

Sorensen started at NIU in 1996, and was made associate dean in Jan. 2001. She has been actively involved in creating seminars about learning strategies for teachers.

Provost Ivan Legg said he’s very comfortable with Sorensen’s new position.

“She’s very focused and smart, she’s a doer,” Legg said. “She’s very positive about the college.”

Sorensen said everyone has been very supportive, including the staff and chairmen.

Sorensen’s goals for the year include work in assessment, curriculum and image for the college of education. She also wants to start partnership activities with the rest of the university this year.

“To be successful in partnership work, we need the commitment and involvement of the departments across the college,” Sorensen said in a speech given this past week at the fall All College Meeting.

“We have a lot of exciting things happening in the college of education this year,” Sorensen said. “We have to work to include more technology.”

Sorensen said she is very pleased when her students come back and thank her for the way she teaches her classes.

“I always told my students to find something you’re passionate about,” Sorensen said. “And I’ve always been passionate about learning and teaching.”