Library lot goes free for finals

By Lisa Weber

Students have assorted things to worry about during finals week, but parking won’t be one of them.

From Saturday to May 11, changes will be made to give students better access to the Founders Memorial Library for exam preparation.

“The main thing is that the pay lot by the library will be free,” said Ron Pearson, Parking Services coordinator. “Students with orange, yellow or brown parking permits may park in that lot for free. No overnight parking is allowed in this lot. If a car is parked there overnight, it will be ticketed.”

The finals-week parking changes started last semester at the request of the Student Association, Pearson said.

“The administration felt that it would be beneficial for the students,” he said. “More students are cramming during finals, and the library is a quiet place to study. The lot next to the library is a convenient place to park.”

Only minor problems were reported last semester.

“Students tried to park there all night to be closer to the dorms,” Pearson said.

Parking attendants still will make their rounds to ensure that proper permits are displayed, he added.

“I’m sure that they will be checking, especially in the faculty and staff parking lots,” Pearson said. “The university will still be open during normal business hours, and things will still carry on.”