Kimme shows leadership on and off the field

By Adam Zolmierski

There are certain aspects that every ball player can be taught about the game. However, the role that senior Kyle Kimme plays for the Huskies can’t be taught, only desired.

Leadership is what the third baseman is all about.

Kimme shows his leadership, which has grown over his first two seasons, on the field, at practice, in the dugout between innings and in the locker room.

“When I was a freshman, I just wanted the seniors to talk to me and tell me I was doing a good job,” Kimme said. “I think that is the most important thing — to let the freshmen know when they are doing a good job, to keep their spirits up. Freshman should be comfortable talking to the seniors, and I just try to make sure that happens.”

This is especially important at Kimme’s position of third base. Occasionally, freshman Rob Marconi will fill in at third, and when Marconi makes a good play, Kimme lets him know because according to Kimme, actions speak louder than words.

“It’s gonna be hard to replace Kyle, but we have Marconi to step in next year,” coach Dave Schrage said. “Kyle has done a lot for this program on and off the field.”

In his four seasons at NIU, Kimme has played under three different coaches, played three different positions and suffered through a sophomore campaign that resulted with a 4-51 season. However, with all these changes going on, he never complained. Whether the Huskies are down or up, whether he’s in the game or on the bench, Kimme goes into each game with the same attitude.

“I try to be a role model, not by my words, but by my actions,” said the senior captain. “I tend to not be as vocal; I show it by hustling, trying hard and never giving up.”

Kimme has shown leadership with his play on the field, as he has improved in many aspects of his game from last season. Although his average has dipped a bit, his defense has been more reliable, committing only six errors compared to last year’s 15. With 10 games left, Kimme has surpassed last seasons run total, too. He has scored 26 runs so far this year, up from last season’s 21. Also, he is showing more patience at the plate, hitting in the number two slot. Up from eight last season, Kimme has drawn 14 walks this season.

Besides his role as a leader, the Mahomet native does whatever it takes to win. He plays the game the way it should be played, and does the little things to help out the team. Selfishness has never been something he has portrayed.

“I try to do whatever it takes to win,” Kimme said. “If there is a guy on third with one out and my job is to hit a fly ball to score him, then I hit a fly ball — I don’t try to hit a double. If it’s the bottom of the ninth inning and we need baserunners, then I’ll crowd the plate to try and get a walk or get hit by the pitch. I was brought up with the attitude of being a team player.”

As Kimme’s career nears its end, he realizes that he has learned a lot from playing baseball and that he has enjoyed every minute of it. He admits that when the last out is made in his final game, he will miss playing the game that has been a part of his life since age five, along with his teammates and coaches.

Chances are they will feel the same way because the leadership and heart he brings on the field are things that can’t be replaced.

“Kyle has done a real good job. He’s been a mainstay at the program for four years,” Schrage said. “We are going to definitely miss him.”