SA execs take oaths

By Melissa Westphal

With a casual reference to end-of-the-year exhaustion, Student Association president-elect Troy Caldwell and his fellow executives met with NIU President John Peters for a small swearing-in ceremony Friday.

Caldwell, vice president-elect Jamie Garcia, treasurer-elect Karega Harris and incoming student trustee Alex Alaniz met at Lowden Hall as the final step before taking office May 15. Although Caldwell said he’s tired entering finals week, he’s ready for next semester.

“I’m excited about the current staff,” Caldwell said. “We have some relatively new SA members and some seasoned veterans. It’s a good balance.”

Peters’ assistant, Nolan Davis, said the meeting was a chance for the officers and Peters to get acquainted. Their informal discussion ranged from basketball to what the campus can expect from a new SA administration.

Caldwell said most of the executive staff will work during the summer to prepare for their fall semester work and “get ahead” of students when they arrive in August. Meetings with city aldermen and DeKalb Mayor Greg Sparrow are planned even though students are gone during the summer.

Peters referred to Alaniz as his “boss” for the next semester, meaning that Alaniz will be the only student vote on NIU’s governing body, the Board of Trustees. The position was decided by election for the first time this semester, with the trustee previously chosen by the SA president.

“Dr. Peters is definitely pro-student,” Alaniz said. “I like to think of him as more of a co-worker than me as his boss. We work really good together.”

In addition to faculty-staff relationships, landlord-tenant and safety issues will be hot topics next semester, Caldwell said. Students need to be involved with academic affairs within the university, he added.

“Committee appointments are important for us next semester,” Caldwell said. “It’s our goal to get a student’s voice on every committee here.”

The SA officers also want to meet with NIU’s new police chief to address safety concerns. Five finalists are in contention with that position.