Fraternity makes a pitch for the homeless

By Melissa Westphal

Camping out at the King Memorial Commons is one way the members of Alpha Phi Omega want to illustrate their concern for the homeless.

“It’s symbolic because we’re camping out without a roof over our heads for one night,” said Kelly Rowe, a junior corporate communication major and fraternity member. “We’re doing our little part.”

About 30 members of the co-ed service fraternity will pitch tents at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Commons as part of a fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity. The group will start the evening with activities and music and will end Thursday morning with a raffle.

Rowe, co-chair of the event, said the group has set a $2,000 goal for the activity. She said all proceeds will benefit the NIU Builds program, which is a local extension of Habitat for Humanity.

“People really put their hearts and souls into building these houses,” said Rowe, who has made several summer trips to help build houses for Habitat for Humanity. “The houses are something they really, really want.”

Alpha Phi Omega, which was established in the 1920s and allowed women to join in 1976, requires its members to do at least 15 hours of community service each semester, with about 2,000 hours getting logged in, Rowe said.

Rowe said members try to do at least one big project each semester where they can include community and campus members.

Thursday’s raffle will include gift certificates for local clubs and bars, as well as phones from The Phone Store, 1022 W. Lincoln Highway. Tickets are $1 or seven for $5.

The Office of Campus Recreation has donated all the tents, and University Programming & Activities and Jimmy John’s, 1011 W. Hillcrest Drive, donated food for the event.