Honors Society seeks new blood

By Melissa Westphal

The Marketing Honors Society has, in 15 years of existence, promoted relationships with NIU College of Business alumni and provided students with job opportunities after graduation.

But most students don’t know the group even exists.

Stephanie McIntyre, vice president of public relations for the group, said executive board members want students to know about the society, despite the fact that it’s on an invitation-only basis. The group will induct about 40 members at 7 p.m. tonight at the Holmes Student Center’s Heritage Room.

“The purpose of the group is to recognize and honor undergraduate marketing majors who consistently have demonstrated scholastic growth and achievement, to provide a base where current student members can make contacts with business, government and academic communities and develop long-term relationships with NIU marketing alumni,” said Janet Szudarski, the group’s president.

The group already has more than 100 members and is privately funded. Members usually hold one meeting each semester after the fall and spring induction ceremonies.

“MHS looks great on a resume, especially when students take an active role,” Szudarski said. “I was inducted two years ago, and now I’m interviewing for jobs. I’m able to say that I’ve had the experience being a leader of a group. And just being proud of something you’re working on is worth it.”

Marketing students with a 3.0 grade-point average are eligible, and must show well-rounded experience at NIU. Members can wear white honors chords at graduation for a $15 fee.

Szudarski said the group is in the process of adding a chapter of Mu Kappa Tau, which would be a sister organization to the society. Mu Kappa Tau is a national organization requiring a 3.25 GPA.

At tonight’s induction ceremony, senior marketing major Brett Kinsfather will be presented with the Excellence in Undergraduate Achievement Award.