Regular bus routes to resume

By Lisa Weber

Students should expect Huskie bus routes to return to normal today with the completion of road repairs around the residence halls and DuSable Hall.

“Phase one of the construction, which included filling the holes, will be done Tuesday,” said Bob Albanese, associate vice president of finance and facilities. “We did just what needed to be done to patch the holes.”

Work resumed Monday after spring break weather delays, forcing the bus routes to change temporarily.

“We tried to coordinate well with the students by having it over spring break, but it was snowing and raining and we had to push the construction back to this week,” Albanese said.

Phoebe Hodges-Carter, Student Association transportation director, said the route alterations went well overall.

“I haven’t gotten the call that the construction is complete yet, but if I do, then the bus routes will be back to normal,” Hodges-Carter said Tuesday.

Word of continued construction didn’t reach Hodges-Carter until Sunday, allowing little time to notify students.

“I thought that the re-routing of the buses went well, but getting the info out to students didn’t go as well as we wanted it to,” Hodges-Carter said. “We put posters in the residence halls on Sunday and Monday morning. I drove around telling students where the new bus stops were. I think that it was kind of confusing for students, but they were really sympathetic because they knew that it had to be done.”

Neither Hodges-Carter nor Albanese received any student complaints during the construction, but the change did affect some students. Jenna Anthony, a sophomore nursing major and Stevenson Hall South resident, said the alternate bus stops & all at least a few blocks from Stevenson & were an inconvenience.

“I got on the wrong bus Monday morning,” Anthony said. “The new bus route was very confusing.”

Heather Bachman, a sophomore special education major who also lives at Stevenson South, felt similarly.

“There were signs up on Sunday, but there was no indication of how drastic the change would be,” Bachman said.

Other students were irritated by the short notice.

“I didn’t know of the change until Monday morning, right before I had to go to class,” said Stevenson South resident Shanta Robinson, a sophomore fashion major. “I had to walk to Douglas Hall and leave much earlier, not knowing where the new bus stops were.”

The second phase of road construction will take place this summer, Albanese said.