4th finalist pushes culture

By Melissa Westphal

The fourth and final provost candidate, J. Ivan Legg, brings with him a knowledge of different cultures, having spoken Spanish before he learned English.

“I’m extremely fortunate that I have an extensive cultural background,” Legg said after the finalists’ names were announced Feb. 5. “The world we live in is richer and more demanding. The culture is rich — we’re one of the most diverse countries in the world. We need to pick ourselves up because living up to that is a huge challenge.”

Legg arrived on campus Wednesday night, preparing for meetings with various college representatives today and Friday. He is the fourth candidate to visit campus, vying for the position of executive vice president and provost.

Regarding his campus visit, Legg said he was eager to meet students and faculty members and learn about NIU. He currently serves as provost and a chemistry professor at the University of Memphis, a position he’s held since 1992.

The 63-year-old Legg earned his bachelor’s degree from Oberlin College in 1960 and his Ph.D. from the University of Michigan in 1965. He said although NIU will be a new learning experience, he knows the campus is progressing.

“There are pockets of populations that are experiencing growth, especially at a university like this,” he said. “People need education to do work.”

He said faculty members play a definite role in the educational process, saying universities need to provide a greater academic environment to support their students.

“The major role of the faculty is to support the mission of education,” Legg said. “Their scholarship provides a rich environment. Deans have the ability to support those faculty members.”

Legg also noted three major issues he’s concerned with — students’ academic needs, communication and experience outside the classroom.

“We have to consider whether the academic needs of students are being met,” he said. “Student populations are becoming increasingly diverse because we have a global society. Students are becoming educated for the future.”

Before he went to Oberlin, Legg lived in Uruguay, Rio de Janeiro and Guatemala. He also spent a summer on a Navaho Indian reservation.

“The issues are complex,” Legg said. “We have to accept people for their differences, having a combination of patience and understanding.”

After earning his Ph.D., he spent about 20 years at Washington State University and another five years at Auburn University. He believes it’s important to train students to become responsible, voting citizens, emphasizing internship and apprenticeship experience in addition to classroom work.

“You have to be able to read, write and present yourself publicly,” Legg said. “Technology is so different today. Evolving universities can’t sit back on this. They have to understand the complexity of the society.”

Ultimately, President John Peters will choose the new provost. Additional candidates include Patrician Hanna, dean of the College of Humanities at the University of Utah; John Dunn, dean of the College of Health at the University of Utah; and William Wehrenberg, dean of the College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences at Clemson University.

Peters said he hopes to announce the provost at the March 19 Board of Trustees meeting.