Huskies have next year in mind

By Joe Lacdan

Members of the women’s basketball team can no longer hide their excitement. After advancing to the third round of the Mid-American Conference with an underclassman-dominated team, the young Huskies exceeded expectations, finishing 10 wins better than last year with a 16-16 record.

“I think everyone feels pretty good about themselves,” NIU coach Carol Hammerle said. “I’ve seen a couple players already in the gym shooting around, so I think that says a lot right there.”

With almost every key player returning, talented recruits coming in, and a new arena set to open in spring 2002, everyone associated with the program has great expectations for the squad.

“I think we made a lot of steps,” freshman forward Jennifer Youngblood said. “I think [the season] gave everyone something to look forward to in the next four years.”

Post vacancy: But the most significant loss this season will be in the post. Senior center Mickey Johnson, who averaged 11.6 points and 6 rebounds this winter, completed her last year of eligibility. Fellow senior Mystique Adams, a 6-foot-1-inch forward who has one year of eligibility remaining, could fill in that role. But recurring pain in her knee could force her to give that up. Freshman center Liz Strobel, who had to sit out much of the year with an anterior cruciate ligament injury says Adams will be a great asset if she opts to return.

“Mystique is a natural leader,” Strobel said. “She makes everyone want to work harder. She knows the system well and knows how it works, but I guess it’s her choice.”

That would leave the Huskies thin in the paint, but NIU will have 5-11 MAC-All Freshman team member Jennifer Youngblood returning. The Huskies have height in the 6-foot-3 Strobel and 6-foot-4 Jessica Shattuck, but Strobel sat out much of the season with an ACL injury, and Shattuck saw minimal playing time.

Still, Strobel believes the experience she received playing in the Huskies’ monster non-conference schedule, which included the likes of Sweet 16 qualifier North Carolina State, will help her during her sophomore year.

“Because I got to play all the non-conference games, I feel like have good understanding of Carol’s style of play,” she said. “If I had hurt earlier it would have been to my disadvantage, but now it’s more like second nature.”

Hammerle hopes incoming recruit Jamie Wilson, a 6-foot-1 forward-center from Columbus, Ohio, will be able to step in and contribute if Adams opts not to return.

Yet more guards: The Huskies made a name in the MAC this year with their guards. Already having six guards on its roster, NIU will add two more talented players to that position with Plainfield native Rachel Sillar and Wisconsin product Alyssa Verdigan.

Hammerle believes she can use Verdigan at point guard, off guard, or small forward. Verdigan displayed her versatility for Lambeau High School, helping lead the school to a perfect 27-0 record and the Wisconsin State Championship her junior year. Verdigan averaged 17.5 points, 8.4 rebounds and 4.3 assists that year. Sillar helped lead Plainfield to a berth in a sectional final, where it fell to eventual state runner-up Neuqua Valley 63-51.

Brown and Bernard back soon: Sophomore guard Kristen Brown and freshman guard Devin Bernard both had to sit out the season with injuries. Brown received a medical red-shirt after suffering a stress fracture in her foot earlier in the year. Bernard, a product of prep powerhouse and current state champion Fenwick, tore her ACL and received a medical redshirt. Both players hope to start regular workouts next month.