Alum secures advising excellence award

By Lisa Weber

One NIU academic adviser stands out above the rest.

Sharon Skala, academic adviser for the community health program in the School of Allied Health Professions, won the 2000/2001 Excellence in Academic Advising Award.

“I was very overwhelmed and surprised when I received this award,” Skala said. “I knew that I had been nominated, and I was really flattered when I won.”

Skala attended NIU and has a master’s degree in community health.

In 1986, she began working part time at NIU doing research for a breast cancer prevention program. In 1994, she started working full-time as an academic adviser.

“My job as an adviser is to help students with schedules, classes and to explain community health,” Skala said. “I’m also an internship coordinator to help students with internship opportunities.”

Skala said she enjoys working with students.

“It’s a complete joy,” she said. “Students bring humor into my office. It’s a wonderful job.”

Sandi Kuchynka, chair of the advisory committee, presented the award to Skala.

“The selection process is based on six factors,” Kuchynka said. “These factors include demonstration of a caring attitude toward advisees, effective interpersonal skills, availability to advisees, understanding of institutional regulations and policies, utilizing referral sources and commitment to academic advising.”

Each individual also had to submit a philosophy statement on advising, Kuchynka said.

“The award is based on the national award,” she said. “We designed this award around the national award.”

Skala’s name was given to the national award committee.

“We will find out if she won that award later this semester or in the summer,” Kuchynka said.