Two charged with stabbing

By Sabryna Cornish

Two more suspects have been arrested and charged in connection with the stabbing of a former NIU student.

Eric C. Williams, 21, 1010 N. Lincoln Highway #1 and Derrick S. Williams-Smith, 20, 921 Normal Road #101, were arrested by University Police and each charged with three counts of aggravated battery and one count of mob action.

Former NIU student Alphonso Knight was stabbed in Grant Towers South on March 21. Knight was stabbed in the side with a 12-inch knife.

UP Sgt. John Hunter said the two were arrested as “the result of a fight.” The fight was related to the stabbing.

Knight was in intensive care for several months, but has been released from Loyola Medical Center in Maywood.

DeKalb resident Anthony Hawks was convicted Aug. 28 of attempted murder and pleaded guilty to the stabbing. Hawks was sentenced to six years in prison.

If convicted, Williams and Williams-Smith face up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Williams is listed as a student in the NIU Student Directory and Williams-Smith was a student living at Grant Towers South last semester.

Hunter said the investigation is “continuing” and they are expecting two more arrests this week in connection with the stabbing. Because warrants were released and the suspects were not picked up yet, the names could not be released, Hunter said. The arrests should be the last in connection with the stabbing.

DeKalb County State’s Attorney Michael Coghlan said earlier the UPs were “the lead investigating team.”

The two were not brought in earlier because of their connection with Hawks’ case.

Witnesses were brought in from Chicago and Missouri to testify in the case involving Hawks.

The Knight stabbing touched off racial tension on the NIU campus last spring. Some critics placed the blame for the violence on dances held at the Holmes Student Center. The NIU administration issued new rules for attending the dances earlier this semester.

Williams and Williams-Smith are scheduled to appear in court Oct. 15.