Huskies dominated by Jackrabbits

Huskies get off only one shot in third straight loss

Senior+goalkeeper+Julia+Lentz+executes+a+goal+kick+during+womens+soccer+practice+on+Aug.+17.+

James Krause | Northern Star

Senior goalkeeper Julia Lentz executes a goal kick during women’s soccer practice on Aug. 17.

By Davione Barrow, Sports Reporter

DeKALB — The South Dakota Jackrabbits defeated the Huskies in a 2-0 victory on Friday with the Huskies allowing twenty one shots and six corners.

Early in the contest, the Jackrabbits were able to share the ball and create for others, which led to a lot of early looks and shot opportunities.

In the 11th minute of the game, Jackrabbits freshmen forward Laney Murdzek notched a goal in the top right off the left foot, giving them a 1-0 lead in the contest. 

Murdzek was aggressive for the Jackrabbits, finding her shot off missed shot opportunities and distributing the ball to her teammates as well.  

The Huskies only had one shot attempt in the first half of a corner kick in the 2nd minute. The Jackrabbits set a record by holding the Huskies to just one shot attempt throughout the entire match, a feat only done three times in program history.  

Senior goalkeeper Sadie McGill stayed active, deflecting numerous shots on goal for the Huskies. McGill made three saves for the Huskies in the first half, along with seven saves for the contest. 

In the 36th minute of the match South Dakota State freshman forward/midfielder Teani Arakawa scored a goal in the bottom left off the right foot, giving the Jackrabbits a 2-0 lead over the Huskies. 

The Huskies defensively allowed the Jackrabbits a lot of lanes to the box for open goal opportunities. The Huskies finished the first half allowing thirteen shots, seven of which were on goal. 

In the second half, the Jackrabbits followed suit in keeping the Huskies out of the box. The Huskies were unable to get anything going offensively and continued to allow the Jackrabbits to get open looks at the goal. 

The Huskies continued to remain disconnected defensively, still giving chances for the Jackrabbits to get to their spots and put up shots on goal. 

The Jackrabbits stayed locked in on both sides of the ball forcing turnovers, however picking up fouls and yellow cards being very aggressive in their attack against the Huskies. 

Of the twenty one shot attempts by the Jackrabbits, eleven were on target. Defensively the Huskies were not engaged from start to finish. The Jackrabbits did a great job in making sure to anticipate passes and staying physical defensively, posing many problems for NIU.

The Huskies fall to 3-5 on the season, losing their last three matches. The Jackrabbits improve to 8-1 on the season. 

The Huskies host the University of Toledo to open conference play. The match will be on 5 p.m. Thursday at the NIU Soccer Track & field complex.