Women’s soccer drops EMU game

The Huskies fall to 1-3 in Mid-American Conference play after a 2-1 loss to EMU on Sunday

Zulfiqar Ahmed | Northern Star

Freshman midfielder/forward Edith Delgado defends a Toledo player during NIU’s match on Sept 23.

By Davione Barrow, Sports Reporter

DeKALB — The Huskies women’s soccer team was defeated by the Eastern Michigan University Eagles in a 2-1 victory on Sunday. 

The Huskies fought for the majority of the contest but were unable to close the game out and secure a victory. Head coach Julie Colhoff said the team needs to “show up” consistently to start seeing results.

“Right now, it’s like we have talent,” Colhoff said. “When we play with passion, we play well. If you don’t show up with that every day, it doesn’t really do much.”

Through the early stages of the match, both teams were physical and found ways to get to the box for shot opportunities. 

On the defensive end, the Huskies were locked in, telegraphing passes and getting into the opposing team’s jersey. This  translated to good looks in the box for the Huskies.

In the 19th minute of the game, EMU senior defender Lindsey Shira scored a goal to give EMU a 1-0 lead.  

Sophomore midfielder Abby Zispe and senior midfielder/defender Kylee Hermeyer were big on defense for the Huskies. The duo anticipated passes, blocked shot opportunities and stripped the ball from defenders.

The Huskies built off that momentum and got out on the break creating shots and finding open passing lanes. 

In the 33rd minute of the game, EMU junior defender Sarah Ash scored a goal coming off a rebound from a free kick to give EMU a 2-0 lead. 

In the 39th minute of the game, junior forward Julia Neary scored a penalty kick for the Huskies to make it only a one-goal deficit. 

In the first half, both teams finished with a combined total of 19 fouls and 0 corner kicks. Both teams had one save each.

In the second half, graduate forward Haley Hoppe led the charge for the Huskies by getting shots in the box and creating looks and opportunities for her teammates. 

NIU played a lot more aggressively on both sides of the ball early in the second half, frequently getting in the box. Although the Huskies turned up the intensity in the second half, the Eagles followed suit as well. 

Hoppe continued to leave her mark on the game defensively, blocking shots and clearing the ball out for the Huskies. 

The Eagles did not allow the Huskies to score again despite the numerous attempts and looks they had within the box down the stretch. 

“I think we lacked passion, we lacked heart, and we got punished for it,”  Colhoff said. 

The Huskies are set to face the Kent State University Golden Flashes on the road. Kickoff for the contest is set for 6 p.m. Thursday.