Jablonski finding her voice at NIU

The UNH transfer has enjoyed the chance to express herself more at NIU, and it’s translating in her performance

James Krause

Junior outside hitter Katie Jablonski (right) attempts to spike the ball over a a wall of Air Force players in the Huskies 3-0 win at Victor E. Court on Aug. 28.

By Waleed Alamieh, Sports Reporter

DeKALB — Everyone wants to be somewhere in life where they are comfortable being themselves. For junior outside hitter Katie Jablonski, she can express the best parts of herself without holding back here at NIU. 

Jablonski is currently in her second season at NIU, transferring from the University of New Hampshire after her freshman season in 2019. Her decision to leave wasn’t based on a lack of success as the UNH Wildcats finished second in the America East conference. 

It wasn’t a lack of playing time either, Jablonski played in 25 of the 27 matches for Wildcats in the 2019 season. Jablonski averaged 1.68 kills per set, ranking fourth on the team. 

Ultimately, Jablonski’s decision came down to where she felt the most comfortable being herself. 

“Overall, the program wasn’t the greatest fit for me and my personality,” Jablonski said. “I’m vocal, I talk a lot, and I like to have fun. My personality didn’t show as much as I wanted it to in New Hampshire.” 

Jablonski knew she needed a change of scenery after her freshman year; the next move was deciding where. Jablonski had several smaller east coast teams  trying to recruit her when she decided  to enter the NCAA’s transfer portal. 

“It’s nerve-wracking going into the portal because all the coaches can see you, but you have no idea who’s looking at you,” Jablonski said.  “It’s very one-way. It was a big decision to go into it.”

That feeling of not knowing what would happen next was just starting for Jablonski. She wouldn’t know it then, but leaving for spring break in 2020 would prove to be the last time she’d be on campus at New Hampshire. 

The COVID-19 pandemic put a pause on the country at a point in Jablonski’s life where she was trying to move forward. Lockdown would only add more uncertainty to an already big decision in her life. 

Jablonski went back to her home in Kaneland, 20 minutes away from NIU’s main campus. Jablonski’s uncertainty would be answered rather quickly with a phone call from NIU assistant coach, Yohannehs “Joe” David. 

“The first week of the portal, Joe called me, and he coached me at the club level, so I already knew him,” Jablonski said. “So it was a smart decision for me to come (to NIU) because it was close to home, and I knew part of the coaching staff, so I knew I could be myself here.” 

The Huskies were coming off  a rough 2019 season where they finished with an 8-22 record. NIU needed more on the offensive end, and when head coach Ray Gooden was told about Jablonski, Gooden knew he had to recruit her.

“She’s a six rotation player who can play in the front and back row,” Gooden said. “We thought she fit our offensive tempo well, so we were excited to see if she was looking to come back home.” 

Jablonski transferred to NIU in  Summer  2020, meaning having to go through being incorporated into a new team for the second time in a year. 

Jablonski’s bond with the team grew enough that she ended up rooming with her best friend on the court, junior setter Grace Balensiefer. The two have built a very solid connection that has taken each of their games to another level. 

“(Jablonski is) great offensively and defensively,” Balensiefer said.  “She puts herself in good spots to score. I feel like outsides don’t get the recognition, but Katie always gets the job done, and she’s someone I can always rely on to put the ball down.”

Jablonski has only gotten better as she gets more familiar with the team. In the COVID-19 shortened 2020 season, Jablonski had 187 kills in 18 games. This season, she’s already recorded 198 kills in just 15 games.

“New starts are always potentially good, but they have their challenges,” Gooden said. “I think going through COVID was such an interesting time, but I think that during her second year (Jablonski) has a better understanding of what we’re looking for.”

Jablonski credits this jump in her game to getting acclimated to her new environment. 

“I think I’m definitely more confident this year, which helped my game a lot,” Jablonski said. “Having that support, not even just the team but the coach’s support makes it a lot easier for me to go out there and do my thing.” 

Jablonski’s decision to choose where she would feel most comfortable finishing out her college career has paid off. Not only is Jablonski one of the best players on the Huskie team, but she has gotten to express the best parts of herself without feeling like she has to hold back anything for the sport she loves.