What to do in DeKalb Nov. 5 to Nov. 7

Northern Star File Photo

There are many on-and-off campus activities for students to enjoy and participate in this weekend. These events are anywhere from learning to just having a good time.

By Madelaine Vikse, Editor-in-Chief

Friday

First Friday Bingo

Students are invited to play bingo in Club 1895, located in the lower den of the Holmes Student Center, from 6 to 8 p.m. The event takes place every first Friday of the month. For any questions or additional information, contact Mariah Osborne at [email protected]

Special Lecture with Composer Chinary Ung

This lecture will feature Chinary Ung, a Cambodian American composer. The event will feature a showcase concert including Southeast Asian performing arts. Everyone is welcome to attend this lecture, which will take place in room 202 of the Music Building from 3 to 4 p.m.

Free Fitness Friday – Rec Group Fitness

The NIU Recreation department holds a free group fitness class every Friday at the Student Recreation Center starting at 4:30 p.m. This Friday’s class will be a dance fitness class. For more information, call the Student Recreation Center at 815-753-0231 or email them at [email protected]

Saturday

Diwali

Students can attend Diwali, also known as the festival of lights, in the Duke Ellington Ballroom located in the Holmes Student Center from 4 p.m. to 12 a.m.

Epilepsy DeKalb’s Family Game Night

This free family event will have concessions including baked goods, drinks, popcorn and hotdogs that attendees can purchase. The event is organized by the DeKalb Epilepsy Advocacy Network and will be held at the Cortland Lions Club, 70 S. Llanos St., from 6 to 8 p.m.

November Open House 

The November Open House will provide students with information and strategies for those interested in being admitted to law school. The event will take place from 10 a.m. to noon in room 170 in Swen Parson Hall. For any questions or additional information, contact Alex Chapman at [email protected]

Sunday

Meet the Redz

This social event will include a meet and greet as well as the opportunity for participants to create vision boards and connect with each other. The event will be held in the Center for Black Studies from 7:13 to 9:13 p.m.

Suet Strut

The Suet Strut is perfect for those who love the outdoors and will include events such as seeing the birds around the area, with some of the event set to take place outdoors, and each attendee will be able to make and take home two suet feeder mugs. The event will take place from 8 to 10 a.m. at the NIU Lorado Taft Field Campus located at 1414 N. River Rd. in Oregon, IL.

“Three Sisters” – presented by NIU School of Theatre and Dance

The NIU School of Theatre and Dance will be having one of their “Three Sisters” performances at 2 p.m. in the Sally Stevens Players Theatre located in the Stevens Building. Tickets are $7 for adults and seniors and free for NIU students with a pre-reserved ticket. Tickets can be found on the College of Visual and Performing Arts website.