Rights violated

As I’ve read the Northern Star today, I am appalled at the actions of the Black Student Unions on the campus. I’d like to know what gives you the right to decide what’s right and wrong for the rest of this campus?

When you took all the newspapers away—supposedly targeted at us Caucasians (as quoted by Mr. Tate “Look who’s on the inside today while the Caucasian is on the outside”)—you also violated the rights of the other fellow minorities such as Asians, Hispanics, etc. How do you expect to get respect from other races when you pull stunts like this? All this does is anger people, not at The Northern Star, but at you! No one has the right to take away other people’s right to read OUR school newspaper.

Mr. Ronell Tate stated in the paper, I should say the very same paper you refused to let us read on Friday, that ” …when we (the black community) come together, no one can stop us.” That sounds more like a fear tactic than a statement for racial unity. Also, if I was to say the statement about my race there would be a race riot on this campus.

Remember, no one likes to see violence on this campus or racial divisions, but stunts like this can only tear us further apart. One way to help everyone is to write constructive letters to The Northern Star and let us read OUR newspaper. And I’m sure that I’m not the only person (not just Caucasian) to feel this way.

Lee Weber

Criminology

Sophomore