DeKalb offers many spots to enjoy warm weather

Patrick Murphy | Northern Star

Two NIU students sit on a bench at the East Lagoon.

By Parker Otto

As warm weather approaches, students will want to go outside and have some good times with friends. Before the semester ends, here are some places that are worth checking out alongside some possible activities. 

The East Lagoon, 100 Castle Drive

An always popular choice with students, NIU’s East Lagoon is full of scenic beauty with many intimate, shaded areas as well as wide-open spaces to play games and host large groups. Through Outdoor Adventures, you can rent a kayak or canoe and paddle throughout the East Lagoon. If you want to be more adventurous, you can take the bike path off of campus that leads right to Prairie Park.

Hopkins Park, 1403 Sycamore Rd

Hopkins Park has several things to do including tables to eat at and a big amphitheater for more theatrical students. There are also several baseball fields for groups of friends to play games of baseball, softball or kickball. For the more environmentally conscious, the park will host a clean-up event for Earth Day from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on April 22. 

The Six Questions Sculpture

A more underrated place to spend time outside The Six Questions bench sculpture is incredibly secluded and scenic. Located across the West Lagoon from Grant Hall, The Six Questions makes for a great location to gather some friends, pack some lunches, bring a speaker for music and just have a relaxing time.