Fill in the blank: My first few weeks of school were…

Northern Star file photo

The MLK Commons on the campus of NIU in DeKalb.

My first few weeks of school were very time consuming; however, as a transfer student looking to have the college experience, that is what I was hoping for.

As one would expect for a junior going to NIU, classwork has been the most time consuming aspect of my first few weeks. I was surprised by the quick pace of the courses so early on in the semester. At my previous college, courses were generally covering basic and review material early on, but this is not the case here. While more demanding, the classes here get me excited for what the future holds. I understand that the topics here can translate into skills that I may be able to use in the future.

Another time consuming part of my experience has been my time at the Northern Star. In pursuit of the college experience, I wished to be involved as much as I could. Because of this, I decided to join the Northern Star, and I have been writing as an opinion columnist since the start of the semester. While keeping up with deadlines and coming up with ideas has been a handful, I am grateful, so far, that I decided to do something extra to get involved.

While I have not had the opportunity to see all that it has to offer, the campus of NIU is one of my favorite aspects of my time here thus far. Small enough to feel navigable and large enough to feel like I’m going to a real university, the campus of NIU has felt full of things to do and places to see. One place I have taken full advantage of is the recreation center and the variety of equipment it has available. Additionally, the dining has been a positive aspect to my experience as I feel that I am getting my money’s worth from each meal.

Lastly, the real highlight of my first few weeks of the semester has been the people. Whether it’s been my floormates at my residence hall, classmates, professors, teaching assistants, or colleagues at the Northern Star, the people here have been very friendly and hospitable.

While my first few weeks at NIU have been very time consuming, I am confident that the campus and its people will quickly make me feel at home.