The Egyptian Theatre to host ‘The Big Sing’ choral concert

Northern Star file photo

The Egyptian Theatre, 1135 N. Second St., to host “The Big Sing” choir concert

By Laqes Davis, Lifestyle Writer

DeKALB — “The Big Sing” second annual choral concert has returned for an afternoon of music. There will be performances by professional, collegiate and high school level choirs, including NIU’s own Cor Cantiamo. The choral ensembles of DeKalb will celebrate their passion for music at 3 p.m. on Sept. 18 at the Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second St. 

The event is produced through a community partnership with the professional choir Cor Cantiamo and the NIU Choral Department. 

Eric Johnson, director of Choral Activities at NIU, said he is delighted to celebrate this event. “All three of the high school directors are NIU alumni, and are doing exceptional work in the programs,” Johnson said. “Additionally, many of the professional singers in Cor Cantiamo are NIU alumni who have established successful musical careers as solo artists and music teachers.”

Cor Cantiamo is the NIU School of Music’s ensemble-in-residence chamber choir, having achieved critical acclaim. The choir weaves contemporary music with choral pieces to inspire and engage its audience.

The event is sponsored by the Cy Miller Foundation, the City of DeKalb, the Farny R. Wurlitzer Foundation, the DeKalb County Community Foundation, Shaw Media and the NIU College of Visual and Performing Arts.

Ticket prices are $12, $5 for children under 12 and $10 for students and seniors, according to the Egyptian Theatre’s website.