Northern Star Weekend Recap: Sept. 11 – Sept. 15

Getty Images

Here are the highlights from this week’s news.

By Ethan Gonzales, Sports Editor

DeKALB — The top stories from the week of Sept. 11 to Sept. 15 are highlighted by the electric performance of Northern Star Athlete of the Week, Rocky Lombardi.

Sept. 11: SGA appoints new senators, other roles

The Student Government Association appointed two new senators on Friday, along with a new director of diversity, equity and inclusion, and a current senator appointed to the position of clerk.

SGA took huge strides in growing their regime of dedicated students. First-year Alexia Musgraves, sophomore Princess Rogers, and junior Olivia Newman were the newest members sworn in to the SGA.

According to the Northern Star, Senator Debbie Allen was appointed to the position of clerk in the senate, an administrative role that follows the Speaker closely.

Sept. 12: Northern Star Athlete of the Week: Rocky Lombardi

NIU redshirt senior quarterback Rocky Lombardi has been named the Northern Star Player of the Week after a huge performance against the University of Tulsa Saturday night, according to the Northern Star.

Although the Huskies fell just short of defeating Tulsa, Lombardi was an X-factor in leading the team to a near come-from-behind victory. 

Sept. 13: NIU to host virtual lectures from historian Leonard S. Marcus

The Northern Illinois University Art Museum will be hosting three virtual lectures in relation to their Children’s Illustrated Literature Suite written by Leonard S. Marcus. The next virtual lecture will be held on Sunday, Sept. 18 from 2 to 3 p.m. CT. Attendees can join via Zoom.

Marcus has had an illustrious career writing children’s literature, becoming an innovator in that category. Some of his most notable work includes “Storied City,” “Show Me a Story,” and “The Runaway Bunny,” according to the Northern Star. Marcus is now primarily a teacher at New York University and the School of Visual Arts.

Sept. 14: Some student workers aren’t getting paid on time, according to NIU

Some hard-working students at NIU are not being paid, and students and their parents are expressing frustration. There are many students who hold on-campus jobs that have not been paid since early August, according to NIU.

The amount of new student workers on campus overwhelmed the university and resulted in delays in paying students. Human Resource Services expects to pay affected students no later than Sept. 30, according to the Northern Star.

On-campus student workers now must worry about being paid on time on top of deadlines for assignments and balancing time between school and personal life.

Sept. 15: Newman Catholic Student Center welcomes new resident priest

The Newman Catholic Student Center has a new resident priest who is ready to preach to the NIU student body.

Rev. Sean Grismer, the new priest in residence, has been living at the Newman Center since mid-June. Grismer was an associate pastor at St. Bridget Catholic Church in Loves Park before coming to NIU, according to the Northern Star.

Grismer has been transitioning to life at NIU quite easily. The students have embraced his preaching techniques, where he mixes humor and pop culture references in with his homilies.