Diverse campus

Interest in diversity is alive and well on the NIU campus. Dr. Samuel Betances, an expert on diversity and multiculturalism, spoke to a maximum capacity crowd in Montgomery Auditorium, Feb. 24. His messages were insightful, thought-provoking and light-hearted. He conveyed the importance of understanding one’s own cultural heritage and being sensitive to the diverse cultures surrounding us.

The efforts which brought Dr. Betances to speak at NIU truly exemplify unity in diversity. Individuals of Hispanic, Asian, and Afro-American descent, among others, offered their time, cooperation, and services to help Golden Key offer and promote this dynamic presentation to the students and faculty of NIU.

I extend my wholehearted thanks to Sheryl Cajka and the Northern Star, Kier Harris and the Campus Activities Board, Professor Norma Davis, Kristen Whalen, Fabian DeRozario, Dr. Peggy Sullivan, Laura Souder, and the members and officers of Golden Key. It was truly a pleasure working with these individuals.

It is my hope that the 400-plus students and faculty who attended the presentation will now make a greater effort to be culturally sensitive in this diverse and culturally rich campus and world that we live in.

Andrea Wesolowski

Golden Key N.H.S.

President