SGA appoints new student directors to senate

The+Student+Government+Association+is+located+in+the+Holmes+Student+Center+ground+floor+in+the+OASIS+space.+

Northern Star File Photo

The Student Government Association is located in the Holmes Student Center ground floor in the OASIS space.

By Evan Mellon, News Reporter

The SGA approved a new director of academic affairs as well as a director of community engagement and environmental affairs to the Senate.

“The director of academic affairs … is responsible for monitoring and making recommendations for changes in university academic policy and serving as liaison to the Faculty Senate and all student advisory committees,” according to the SGA bylaws.

Kennedy Smith, a senior public health major, was approved to the position with a simple majority vote.

“I feel that NIU does not help students the way that they should, especially freshmen,” Smith said. “My goal is to figure out what we can do at the university to ensure that many students enrolled will gain academic success. To do this, I believe there would need to be a relationship between the university and their students to improve the institutional structure of the academic systems to support students on their pathway in graduating college.”

The SGA also appointed sophomore Paris Crawford as director of community engagement and environmental affairs. The position is tasked with working with the university to develop sustainable projects and initiatives and to collaborate with environmental student groups on campus for “programming, advising, guidance, and accountability,” according to the SGA bylaws.

“It will be my goal to listen to all respective groups on campus, find ways to make their experience at Northern (Illinois University) more comfortable, and let it be known that their community’s heard,” Crawford said. “As director of environmental affairs, I will use my horticultural experience to promote betterment of our earth and our community.”

Additionally, Landon Larkin, a junior finance major, was appointed to the position of deputy treasurer, a position that serves as vice-chair in the SGA financial committee and presides over the committee in the case of an absent treasurer.

“As a finance major, I’m a part of NSCS, which is the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, as well as a member of the Investment Association,” Larkin said. “I believe I have a good understanding of financial topics and what needs to be known by the deputy treasurer, as well as the experience it would take to play the role.”

SGA meetings are open to the public and held weekly at NIU, with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent to speak forms are available online.