Inside NIU’s private security force

‘People don’t want to do this job like they used to,’ NIU Police Chief said

Colin Kempsell

A Securitas placard rests on a car dashboard outside Grant North Residence Hall.

DeKALB — They guard our residence halls and patrol our streets, but you may not know who or what they are. Securitas USA is a private security company hired by the NIU Board of Trustees and arrived on campus on Aug. 15; but why were they hired in the first place?

Securitas’ main purpose is to act as a supplemental force to strengthen the NIU Police Department, NIU Police Chief Darren Mitchell said. Securitas guards have been stationed in Stevenson and Grant towers, only two out of the five residence halls. The main area the guards patrol is the northern Annie Glidden region, more specifically Greek Row, according to the contract between NIU and Securitas.

“They’re a deterrent and they are extra eyes and ears for the police,” Mitchell said, who arranged to have Securitas here on campus and in the Annie Glidden north area. “They carry around our (NIU Police) radios, so they have a direct connection to the police department. So, if they see something, they can call it out over the radio and an officer will be at that scene within minutes. They’re not to engage.”

Securitas guards have day and night patrols in the Greek Row area, ranging from four to seven foot patrols and two to three Securitas patrol vehicles, according to the contract between NIU and Securitas. They are to gather information for NIU Police and to watch out for activities or crimes that police will then be dispatched to.

NIU has paid $750,000 to contract Securitas, according to the contract. Securitas guards will be present in Greek Row until Dec. 17 and will be present in residence halls until May 14, the contract states.

“This is a short-term investment. They’re not here to take jobs from the police or to stay,” Mitchell said. “We’ve analyzed the data, and we’re always looking to hire more police. Nationally, police departments are having a hard time attracting police applicants, and we’re no different. We continue to make long-term investments in our police, but it’s harder now. People don’t want to do this job like they used to.”

Securitas is here to fill a void that NIU Police can’t fill with its current staff. According to Mitchell, the NIU PD has employed 40 officers as of Oct. 28. The NIU PD is hoping to hire five to seven officers in the coming months.

“Unfortunately, crime across the country is on an uptick,” Mitchell said. “No community is immune from it; we care greatly about the safety of our students. So, as the chief of police, I want to make sure that I have adequate resources to prevent crime.”

When asked to participate in an interview with the Northern Star, Securitas declined, asking to read a draft before the story’s publication. When informed that the Northern Star does not let anyone outside of its staff read stories prior to publication, they declined to comment.

“We’re not trying to make it a secret that they’re there, you know. We have vocalized it to the community,” Mitchell said. “We’ve let the people know, and we communicated with student leaders that live in the area, Greek houses in particular.”

Despite this statement, some students had never heard of Securitas or their presence on campus. Gabrielle Sarto, a senior business and marketing major and a member of Delta Gamma, lives at the sorority’s house on Greek Row. Sarto knew little about Securitas.

“I’ve heard comments and things where people (around Greek Row) don’t take them seriously,” Sarto said. “Especially the cars driving around. A lot of that gets more of a comedic effect rather than a safety effect, I suppose. I do think it is good that they are here because I have seen less emails coming in since last year about incidents going on in the area.”

According to the contract, NIU Police have been helping Securitas guards by providing training to acclimate to the different environment NIU provides to make sure they are providing students and community members with adequate protection and service.

“I think they’re doing a great job,” Mitchell said. “Not only did we contract with the company but we brought them on and we specifically trained them. They get training from the company already, but then we bring them on and we train them to the expectations and needs of our department, our community.”

Whether Securitas will significantly help the NIU Police prevent crime on campus and in the surrounding area is yet to be seen.

“We’ll reevaluate at the end of this year to determine if we need to bring them back,” Mitchell said. “The hiring of our police does not impact that.”