Poll: When is the best time of day for classes? 

A+student+organizing+a+planner+so+that+they+know+when+their+classes+are.+

Getty Images

A student organizing a planner so that they know when their classes are.

By Angelina Padilla-Tompkins, Editor-in-Chief

Whether you prefer morning, afternoon or evening classes, the course material will remain the same. Students just need to figure out what works best for their needs and personal schedules.  

Morning classes 

Early classes can push you to be more productive throughout the day, but be prepared to participate in academic discussions in the morning. If you aren’t motivated to go to class all together then you might be tempted to just hit the snooze button and skip. 

By taking the majority of your classes in the morning, it allows for a more flexible afternoon schedule. With a free afternoon you will have more time to focus on joining a student organization, a part-time job and your personal life. 

Afternoon classes 

By the time the afternoon arrives hopefully you have been able to fully wake up and feel prepared to tackle what is left of the day. When taking afternoon classes you are less likely to oversleep and skip class. 

Additionally, afternoon classes are perfect if you like to study for quizzes and exams right before.  

However, afternoon classes can often conflict with events and student organizations, as most events take place in the afternoon. 

If you are on the hunt for a job or internship, afternoon classes might not be for you. Employers look for students with open schedules and flexibility, afternoon classes tend to get in the way of securing good part-time jobs. 

Evening classes 

When it comes to evening classes, the majority of your day is free to seek out jobs, internships, get involved with student organizations or do homework. However, if you have been busy all day you might find yourself exhausted and struggle to focus. 

It is important for students to be aware of what they can and can’t handle before the drop/add date for course passes. 

The last day to drop a course through your advisor and add a course pending approval of the department at NIU is Jan. 29. 

When is the best time of day for classes? 

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.