NIU STEAM to host presentation on science of flirting

Northern Star File Photo

Fatty’s Pub & Grill, 1312 W. Lincoln Highway, is home to charity-based sports events, live music, food and alcohol. Next week, Fatty’s will be hosting a lecture about the science behind flirting on Feb. 15. (Northern Star File Photo)

By Caleb Johnson, Lifestyle Writer

NIU STEAM will host a presentation on the science of flirting as a part of a lecture series called STEM Cafe. This cafe event is to take place at 6:30 p.m. on Feb. 15 at Fatty’s Pub and Grille.

This presentation looks at the nuanced and complex nature of flirting and what motivates people to communicate with others in an intimate way.

The lecture will be given by David Henningsen, a NIU communications professor and scientist, and will review his (and other’s) scientific research on how people flirt.

The presentation will teach participants about the key motivations behind flirting and how this form of commutation can lead to potential misunderstandings.

The purpose of this cafe series is to increase the awareness that STEM related fields connect to our everyday lives.

The next event in the series will be STEM Café: Microbrewing: The Science of Beer Flavors. Eric Scherzer, the head of quality control at Two Brothers Brewing Co., will discuss the history of beer flavors and the effects of genetically engineered yeast on beer flavors. This event takes place at 6:30 p.m. March 15 at the Two Brothers Roundhouse Brewery at 205 N. Broadway, Aurora.