Sissi leads Huskies past Lindenwood

Mingda Wu

Then-sophomore Isabella Sissi posing during her floor routine at the EMU gymnastics meet. Sissi scored 38.250 for her all-around performance in the meet. (Mingda Wu | Northern Star)

By Ethan Gonzales, Sports Editor

DeKALB – Sophomore all-arounder Isabella Sissi tied her career high of 39.225 to lead the Huskies to a 195.950-195.050 victory over Lindenwood University on Sunday.

Sissi scored a 9.750 on vault, 9.775 on uneven parallel bars and a 9.850 on both the beam and floor events.

The Huskies began the meet by tying their season best score of 49.125 on beam as a team. Senior Natalie Hamp continued to dominate the event, scoring 9.900 for the fifth time this season and finishing first overall on beam for the sixth time this season. Junior Alyssa Al-Ashari tied with Lindenwood junior Hannah Moon for third place on beam with a score of 9.850.

“We had a great day,” NIU gymnastics head coach Sam Morreale said in an NIU Athletics press release. “We really want to use these three season-ending (road) meets to get ready and right for the MAC Championships, so to tie our highest score of the year is right where we want to be.”

Sophomore Emma Brkljacic finished second place on vault with a score of 9.800, a team high for the Huskies. Junior Isabelle West and Sissi both scored 9.750 to tie for fourth place on vault.

The Huskies scored a 49.100 as a team on floor exercise, their second-highest floor score of the season. Sophomore Emmalise Nock finished with a 9.900 performance, tying for first place in the event. Senior Jacklyn Dolitsky scored a career-high 9.850 on floor and tied with Sissi for fourth place.

NIU finished the meet with a 48.975 cumulative score on beam. Al-Ashari won the beam event with a 9.900 score, followed by Sissi’s 9.850. The Huskies’ beam team secured the win after only leading 146.925-146.175 before the final rotation.

The Huskies will travel to Kalamazoo, Michigan, to face Western Michigan University for their next meet. The meet will take place at 3 p.m. on March 4.